calling all transmission gods 46 re 96 ram 2500 4X4

-

flight704

Reaction score
I have a 96 ram 2500 4x4 with a 46re transmission. I bought it used about 3 yrs ago it currently has 108,000 miles on it to my knowledge it hasnt been touched yet.

The truck runs fine the tranny shifts fine and it does not slip or anything else.... all the fluids are good anyways when i am coasting down to a stop and the truck is in gear i hear a whining noise. If i pop it into neutral it stops and as soon as i put it back in gear it starts again. it doesnt matter if 2wd 4wd or 4wd low same thing happens i was thinking transfer case but it still stops when you pop in into neutral when in 4wd so i am convinced it is tranny related

anyways anyhelp ideas or guidance will be appreciated thank you for your time

duke :)

Just because it stops when you pop it in neutral doesn't mean it's trans related. Your taking the load completely off of everything when you pop it in neutral so it could still be anything. I'd start by checking the easy things first like the U-joints. If their original it's a good chance their dry of grease. If their ok pull the cover off the rearend and inspect it. could be a bad carrier bearing or bad gears. If all that checks out it might be a trans. problem. I'd suspect the transfer case before the trans. so I'd inspect it first.

Could be planetary gears in the transmission. But like the previous post indicates, you need to check the easy things first. if they check out fine then pull down the pan and look for any metal in the pan.

When you throw the truck in nuetral you remove the load pretty much from everything, and only half the trans slows down...
The diffs, t-case, back of trans is still at whatever speed the truck is moving at.

I would kinda start at the diff...

Next time instead of dropping it into nuetral, slow down with the pressure applied, and if the noise isn't there, check your pinion nut, it is loosening up....

Jack the rear of the truck up, drop it on the jack stands, crank the truck up, drop it in gear, slowly let off the brakes and let the wheels roll freely, carefully slide underneath the middle of the truck and see if hear noises coming from the left (trans) or right (rearend).

I did this to diagnose a problem I was having. Turns out the Auburn carrier I had installed in my Ram 1500 had broke. I reinstalled the stock carrier and fixed the problem.

new development / information I took it out and drove it a bit today. If I turn the overdrive off it stops. About a second after i turn the overdrive back on it starts again and when i turn it off as soon as it down shifts into drive or out of overdrive the whining noise stops as well. first second and third it does not make any noise at all... I plan on dropping the pan this week or next weekend when ever i have time and changing the filter and fluids and too see if there are any metal shavings in it. anyways i appreciate the input maybe this extra infornmation can help someone nail down whats going on in there

thanks again for your time and input.

duke :)

The 46re transmission is not the best trans in the world. I use to be a regular over on DodgeTalk.com and it's a known fact the trans has problems. With the miles you've posted however you did very well compared to some (if there is a problem with your transmission).

-
Back