Caltracs and street

-

Ironmike

Reaction score
Have a 71 Demon 4 speed with now way too much power for a decent launch at the strip....with the factory rear susp.

Wanted to find some guys running the Caltracs for strip AND street. I've heard it just don't work out too well. Don't want to install drag shocks.

Hope somebody can point me in the right direction.

Hey:

My car is an auto, but I run the caltracs on the street exactly as I run them on the track- 1/4 turn preload. Works great no issues. Am also running the monoleafs and am stunned by how quiet they are, even with the solid front bushing.

If you don't want to buy drag shocks, I highly recommend adjustables. Calvert sells rear adjustables. Basically, clik click race, click click street.

Steve

my 2 cents , you need a descent size tire, and a soft compound tire like e.t streets or similar, and you need weight transfer -adjustable shocks, you need to get that front end up quick to load the back tires, my et streets are a d-5 wich is the same compound of similar size drag slick. i recently added comptetion engineering adjustables on the front , i can tell it raises quite a bit faster than the summit adjustables, soon ill add adjustable rear shocks also, i heard there are better ones out there but these worked for my budjet.

i usually back my bars off on the street, smooths out the ride quite a bit. i love mine, i'll run them on any serious street strip car i ever own if its gonna have leaf springs.

if your gonna make the caltracks work, your gonna need their adjustable rear shocks. also a loose front end with lots of travel goes along way. if your car is to stiff in the front its never gonna work. if you don't want 90/10's on the street just swap them out. i do it all the time on my dart.

_MBK6704-1.jpg

IMG_4430.jpg

ive installed caltracs system on my street strip dart 4 spd because of the response from fellow fabos saying its the way to go

A few yrs ago I put CE slide-a-link(Comp Engineerings answer to Caltracs)on my 73 Dart sport with 4 speed.My car launched better,but nowhere near as good with an auto.I now just put the Caltracs in my 66 Dart,waiting on the mono,s.I also have the QA-1 12 way adj.My best 60ft with just stock suspension was 1.50,so hoping for 1.4?,s

I thought about putting on Caltracs too, but my car already hooks (1.49 60' times)....I don't see how it would make it go faster when I don't have traction issues. Has anyone put them on a car that already hooked and made improvements...Sorry, not trying to derail the tread, just a question I've been pondering.

I thought about putting on Caltracs too, but my car already hooks (1.49 60' times)....I don't see how it would make it go faster when I don't have traction issues. Has anyone put them on a car that already hooked and made improvements...Sorry, not trying to derail the tread, just a question I've been pondering.
My car would hook,but the frontend would come up then back down quick(kinda hopping)so I,ve swapped to RMS UCA,hymed struts and already have the QA-1,s on all 4 corners.The Caltracs are to help with weight transfer,so I can hook better with the frontend travel changing.Not trying to go faster,just want the car to leave the line better,quicker.

if your car hooks & goes straight i doubt you'd see any real change in ET.

That's a pretty damn respectable 60' time. I wouldn't mess with it if I were you. You might get improvement with the CalTracs, but then again, you might not. I think even if you did see an improvement over 1.49, it wouldn't be enough of an improvement to make it worth it.

I run them on my street car and have never had any problems. My best sixty is only a 1.65 though.

-
Back