Stock Crank
Forged 9.66cc Pistons and Forged Rods
Unported Edelbrock Heads, 2.02/1.60
Hughes Roller Rockers
MSD Ignition
1 7/8 Headers
Air Gap Intake
750 Demon

10.8 C/R, 6100 ft. altitude, 3500 lb Duster w/ a new 907, 489 w/ either 4.10 or 3.93 and limited slip. Purpose would be mostly street with goal of low 13's or high 12's. Tire size has not been selected.

This is just the build sheet, anything can be changed.

Was thinking of a .550" lift 244/244 duration cam and 3000 stall TC, sound about right?

Hi there.

I'm no expert but I don't think you'd need quite that much cam or gear to get low 13's / high 12's.

Are you interested in shelling out the coin for a roller cam or are you happy to settle for a less expensive flat tappet camshaft?

Block is roller cam from the factory. I have the lifter retainers and lifters. Love the forgiveness of roller cams compared to high spring rate flat tappet cams. I fear altitude will soak up a good 1 second or close to 75 hp. I'd rather not go above 6500 rpm so maybe a smaller cam will improve drivability.

244/550 sounds like the 288R. A HR cam in the 230/550 range will get you there.

I'd lose the 1 7/8" header and put a set of 1 5/8-1 3/4 steps on it instead. It will make more mid range tq and get the car moving easier.

Not enough converter either, will like another 1K minimum (4-4500 stall) even with the smaller cam range I suggested.

Wow thats a lot more TC than I thought I'd need, highway use would be limited without a change of gearing. Is that streetable with 4.10's?

Oh hell yea 4.10'a are very good with a cam like that.
Header tube is huge at your listed size. Follow the above advice. You could use a little less cam and converter than the above suggestion. That is a real healthy set up.

Check Dynamic converters http://dynamicconverters.com/converters.htm#9%20%C2%BD%22%20Race/%20Street
Get one of their 9.5" street/race converters. Let them know about the altitude you race at as it has a big effect on stall speed. 4.11 gear should be fairly livable with a 28" tire unless you're doing 100+ mile trips. 28X11.50X15 Mickey Thompson ET Streets or 275/60/15 M/T drag radials would be my pick. Use a 15 X 8 wheel with a 4.5" back space for either. I agree with cracked on the headers. The 1 7/8" is just too big for the combo. Unless you already have the 1 7/8 get a set of 1 5/8 to 1 3/4 step headers, and run with 3" exhaust. As for cam get a hold of the guys at Bullet http://www.bulletcams.com/ they will get you the right cam, again be sure to let them know about the altitude you race at.

Pick your tire size before picking your gears. Bullet cams can regrind your stock roller if you still have it.

All good info - I'll add that with the altitude you will want to let them know if you plan on coming down to sea level at times. Otherwise you may be relegated to running race fuel on those oocasions.

Block is roller cam from the factory. I have the lifter retainers and lifters. Love the forgiveness of roller cams compared to high spring rate flat tappet cams. I fear altitude will soak up a good 1 second or close to 75 hp. I'd rather not go above 6500 rpm so maybe a smaller cam will improve drivability.

Yes, the altitude will kill a little over a second of ET. I also agree with crackedback that you will want about a 4k stall to get that thing to ET well.

For comparisons sake, the pic in my sig was shot at Bandimere speedway (Colorado for those that don't know) back when my car had a 360 with:
10.8:1 compression
eddy heads
RPM intake
.509 hydraulic purple cam
727 w/ 3200 stall
4.10 gear w 28" tire
3275 lbs with driver
180 shot of nitrous

It ran 13.8 on the typical hot days NA, and 11.1 on a 180 shot of N2O...low 13's on cool fall days NA and still 11.1 on a 180 shot. On just motor my car was LAZY off the line...I guarantee a better converter would have put this in the high 12's...my converter was not matched for the combo (and that cam sucks).

When I moved out to Indy the car ran 12.4 right off the trailer (with some jetting changes) on a hot summer day.

Very informative, thanks guys! Will downgrade the headers and shop for a 4000 stall TC. Unfortunately I don't have the stock cam to regrind. As for running at sea-level, I don't plan on it. There's a track in Pueblo that's about 4900 ft I will run at.

Flyfish, we will have a simular combo, and you're right - that cam sucks. Hopefully I can make it into high 12's without nitrous. Thanks for posting those numbers!

Very informative, thanks guys! Will downgrade the headers and shop for a 4000 stall TC. Unfortunately I don't have the stock cam to regrind. As for running at sea-level, I don't plan on it. There's a track in Pueblo that's about 4900 ft I will run at.

Flyfish, we will have a simular combo, and you're right - that cam sucks. Hopefully I can make it into high 12's without nitrous. Thanks for posting those numbers!

Most everyone I knew ran a few tenths quicker down at Pueblo (versus Bandimere), so with the right cam and converter I don't see why you couldn't hit the 12's. My old combo (minus the cam) was setup for nitrous, so it was a tad slow NA. Good luck, keep us posted :) .

-
Back