Cam breakin question

-

4spdragtop

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
In the near future I plan on swapping out 273 for 340. Exhaust will be upgraded eventually, but in the meantime for breakin can I use the factory 273 manifolds on the 340? Foresee any issues?
Thanks
Steve

In the near future I plan on swapping out 273 for 340. Exhaust will be upgraded eventually, but in the meantime for breakin can I use the factory 273 manifolds on the 340? Foresee any issues?
Thanks
Steve
Depends on the year of the 340; or more precisely, the year of the heads. If they are later heads with the large exhaust port pads, there will be interference.
1965 MOPAR, 273 Exhaust Maifolds

Yes, I just wasn't sure if "choking" the exhaust with 273 manifolds would affect the breakin.

Then you should be okay! I'm sure you know about the port mismatch, but like you said- it's temporary.
Lol, I want to, but bylaw has been here once already for a fume "violation"...
He would be here for a sound one too with no exhaust. :rolleyes:
Slap those Hi-Po's on there. :)

I think that it's awesome that you guys share your knowledge and experiences. I'm truly looking forward to be able to take part in serious decisions about engine tuning and modifications. I thank everyone on here for everything that they helped me with in having more understanding of the performance world.

Yes, I just wasn't sure if "choking" the exhaust with 273 manifolds would affect the breakin.

Lol, I want to, but bylaw has been here once already for a fume "violation"...
He would be here for a sound one too with no exhaust. :rolleyes:
When are you planning the break in? You can do it up here......The only thing you'd piss off here are the bears. :)

Thanks Troy! I'm not really sure, I "think" I'm ready. Still got 273 to pull. If I could put the 340 in trunk of cuda and drive up there :rolleyes: .
A bear is the last(maybe 2nd last) thing I wanna pi$$ off lol.
Then there's the exhaust "issue" and torque converter...mean game of Mopar dominoes...
When are you planning the break in? You can do it up here......The only thing you'd piss off here are the bears. :)

Thanks Troy! I'm not really sure, I "think" I'm ready. Still got 273 to pull. If I could put the 340 in trunk of cuda and drive up there :rolleyes: .
A bear is the last(maybe 2nd last) thing I wanna pi$$ off lol.
Then there's the exhaust "issue" and torque converter...mean game of Mopar dominoes...
If this stretches into the Spring, maybe (more like hoping) my stand will be available.

On a temporary break-in period, it will work fine as long as your intake is the '66-up version, and you install the reducer bushing in the crank for the small button converter. Keep in mind that with the exhaust port mismatch in size, the gasket is prone to blowout failure. How long it lasts is mostly dependent on the brand and composition of the gasket.

Thanks Mark, things may have got lost in translation. I'm contemplating breaking in a 340 with 67 273 exhaust manifolds. The 273 is currently in it. I have to get off my lazy *** and measure the exhaust that's on it now. Good point on exhaust gasket blowout.
On a temporary break-in period, it will work fine as long as your intake is the '66-up version, and you install the reducer bushing in the crank for the small button converter. Keep in mind that with the exhaust port mismatch in size, the gasket is prone to blowout failure. How long it lasts is mostly dependent on the brand and composition of the gasket.

-
Back