Cam Button how to.....next question: how to measure cam endplay?

-

360duster

Reaction score
Hi Guys, got a Hydraulic Roller cam for the 512 i´m building at the moment, cam button necessary. I got the Comp 206 cam button, it says for mopar B / RB / Hemi. Installation is not possible, the 3 screws for the timing gear are in the way....even if i use allen screws it wont fit in the center hole. Do i have to machine it? Thanks in advance!

Michael

20230327_184712.jpg

20230327_184832.jpg

I can see it not fitting, but why in hell would Comp not make it to proper fit? I'm not overly familiar with BB's

ok, got the cam installed and degreed in. Btw, between the crank, the gearset and the cam there was a 5° difference to the intake centerline it should have.....now another question: how to check endplay with the stock timing chain cover? Where do i measure? Sorry for dumb questions, SB guy here helping a buddy out......

Michael

Just a guess but you would have to install the timing cover with gasket and torqued, then rig an indicator to the cam down through the valley and gently pry it fore and aft?

If you knew this was coming, you could have left the rear cam soft plug out of the block until checking

correct about the rear plug.....the plugs were already in and i prefered not to mess with anything on this thing. maybe there´s a chance to access from the valley, with some feeler gauges against a magnetic base or so....have to get creative, thought there must be a solution available....

you need a dial indicator and a magnetic base to measure it. set it up on a cam lobe and gently pry the cam one way and set the indicator to zero then pry the other way. note the reading.

Something else you can do. Build a shim set up for the back of your water pump and stabilizes the timing cover where that button will hit. The cover can deflect a bit, it's minimal but I've done something in the past to keep things solid.

You can make it adjustable to dial in your walk measurement.

yes, i´ll do that possibly. the stock cover is pretty weak, don´t know if it´s able to keep control of the cams movement. Thanks at all!

Hi, i put a .039" sheet metal in between tc and wp, much more rigid now. But getting the endplay right is a Pita.....WP and cover on, check endplay....remove, file.....repeat. Got it correct finally (after messing one button up ;-))

Michael

-
Back