Cam change effect on 60' times ?

-

Reaction score
Just wondering if people have time slip examples where switching to larger cams with less than ideal converter/gearing that may have increased overall E.T. but did it have a penalty,improvement,same in the 60'/330' times? Same question also switch for dual plane to single or any other mod that suppose to effect low rpm torque.

Anytime you change the "size" of anything (i.e.: cam, carb, headers, intake plenum, etc.) it can affect the optimum calibration of the carb. Bigger stuff tends to reduce the vacuum signal to the carb so you may need to provide a longer accellerator pump shot and/or bigger squirters and/or more jetting. If you don't have the proper gearing, converter, etc., for the overall combo, the optimized carb calibration with the new parts may not be better/faster than the optimized calibration with the old parts, or not as much faster than it could be. In your case, the bigger cam & intake may provide bigger results on the top end (higher rpm) than at the bottom end. Just gotta test because with so many variables, no combo is the same.

Anytime you change the "size" of anything (i.e.: cam, carb, headers, intake plenum, etc.) it can affect the optimum calibration of the carb. Bigger stuff tends to reduce the vacuum signal to the carb so you may need to provide a longer accellerator pump shot and/or bigger squirters and/or more jetting. If you don't have the proper gearing, converter, etc., for the overall combo, the optimized carb calibration with the new parts may not be better/faster than the optimized calibration with the old parts, or not as much faster than it could be. In your case, the bigger cam & intake may provide bigger results on the top end (higher rpm) than at the bottom end. Just gotta test because with so many variables, no combo is the same.
Generally people say adding cams over say 220 or so degrees duration comes at the cost of bottom end Torque or adding a decent amount say 230 vs 245 was wondering if some seen it reflected in their 60' 330' etc... times with or without correcting with gear & stall.

Last edited:
I played with intakes, but I can only say what it did for me. My intake has the divider cut down, made a divider. The car needs the plenum volume up top more than any gained torque down low. I made an intake with HUGE open plenum. Knew it was not going to work and it didn’t. Slowed down 2/10’s, but have not given up on it yet. No time to play with it right now.

-
Back