Cam choice

-

clv22p

72 Dodge Demon 340
Reaction score
I am building the 318 in my duster. Im building a street/strip car. I want to be able to drive it around town and to the track.

Ive got a stock bottom end. 3000 stall. 3.90 gears. Im working a deal on some 340 heads.

A friend has recommended the comp 268h. Ive also seen the 274h and 284h.

What do you guys think?

If you're use the stock bottom end, did you/have you changed the pistons?

I'd go with the XE268H which is basically drop in with single w/dampner springs. Another choice is the Lunati 60402 but the Lunati specs dual springs which mean head machining and adding them after cam break in. Unless you use non-lunati springs.

You're gonna have dismal compression unless you do something to change it. The 340's larger chambers will ned you static compression probably around 7.8:1. No, I ain't kiddin. That's a LOTTA millin to make up for.....so the best way would be the KB167s if you can swing going that way.....OR some 302 castings OR some magnum castings if use the stock pistons. Just food for thought. The cam choices recommended so far sound about right.

The thumpr cam is on a 107lca, and if you advance it the full 5° it'll crank from about 2000rpm on up to about 6200 in a 318.
You can use them with mild springs too.

-
Back