Cam choices for stock 318's

-
Well I went back and read and I still don't see where the OP talked about adding headers and a four barrel. Maybe I'm lookin with the wrong eye.

Well I went back and read and I still don't see where the OP talked about adding headers and a four barrel. Maybe I'm lookin with the wrong eye.

Finally got to my designation. I have a LD4B, 600 edelbrock and 340 manifolds all in the works. I have a 3.23 gear with 255-15 rear tires. Stock converter.

Finally got to my designation. I have a LD4B, 600 edelbrock and 340 manifolds all in the works. I have a 3.23 gear with 255-15 rear tires.

Pretty tall tire. Probably better remain conservative on the cam choice. The 265 DEH Comp would be a good choice and about as large as I would recommend. I love the split pattern and the pretty big split between intake and exhaust duration. That will help it out with manifolds.

Pretty tall tire. Probably better remain conservative on the cam choice. The 265 DEH Comp would be a good choice and about as large as I would recommend. I love the split pattern and the pretty big split between intake and exhaust duration. That will help it out with manifolds.
I could use a 3:55 at least with that tall tire. I don't need a tire fryer.

I could use a 3:55 at least with that tall tire. I don't need a tire fryer.

It would probably be one though, with that cam. I think it would run really well. It will sound nice, too.

Finally got to my designation. I have a LD4B, 600 edelbrock and 340 manifolds all in the works. I have a 3.23 gear with 255-15 rear tires. Stock converter.
I might just put the intake/carb and the manifolds/duals and call it quits for now. I seem to have a need to change the cam too. Lol

I might just put the intake/carb and the manifolds/duals and call it quits for now. I seem to have a need to change the cam too. Lol

Remember with manifolds and the change to a four barrel, you will likely be rich. Adding the headers would lean it back out about right. It's a slippery slope. LOL

My 600 eddy was lean, even with the stock manifolds... just say'n

Sounds like I will have to brush up on my carb tuning skills.

I like the looks of that 265Deh. That Howard's cam I picked out in my original post is too much you think? It's hard to compare the two. I am on my phone.

Cams this small have small differences and it is IMO that you may be having to much worry over it. The desk top dyno lead you well.

Rusty, it is toolmans first post, post #1 where he wrote in the Parameters of 4bbl, 600, etc...

No worries ether way.

My 600 eddy was lean, even with the stock manifolds... just say'n

Well, that's what it's designed for, if it's a 1406. They are the economy AFB. The 1405 is the performance version.

Well, that's what it's designed for, if it's a 1406. They are the economy AFB. The 1405 is the performance version.
I have the 1405 manual choke. I fixed the problem, though. All I did was install a pieced together 670 Holley Street Avenger :)

On the 255-15 tire: what's the ratio? Someone mentioned they are tall? Didn't see it mentioned.
Are they 55? 60? 70? Just curious and interested for a future project.

On the 255-15 tire: what's the ratio? Someone mentioned they are tall? Didn't see it mentioned.
Are they 55? 60? 70? Just curious and interested for a future project.
255-60/15's are 27" tall
001.jpg

That's a pretty fast ramp cam from howards. For as little as you may see in performance, on a driver deal, I'd go with something more conservative since this isn't an all out deal.

That's a pretty fast ramp cam from howards. For as little as you may see in performance, on a driver deal, I'd go with something more conservative since this isn't an all out deal.
I was thking the same. For a couple extra horsepower it's probably not worth the extra strain on the vave train with those agressive ramps.

If I would overcam a bit I could always slide in a small stall converter. Precision is less than a hour drive away, my buddy used to work there. He also has a hoist and a trans jack.

I agree with the 265DEH that rusty recommend. It's design to work with less than ideal exhaust systems.

I feel cam choice should be more about what rpm it comes in at than falls off at.

Like my car under 2000 rpm it's a bit slug, if I had 4.10 or even 3.55 it won't be a problem.
But the original owner put 2.96 gears in.
But its not as bad as you would think, just got to run it in second gear in town.

But for your car I wouldn't stray too far from 1000-1200 rpm.

-
Back