Cam, Converter, Gear?

-

74swangur

Reaction score
Lookin for sugesstions for Cam, Converter & Gear. I am building a 383 and I have already aquired a TCI Breakaway Torque Converter/advertised flash 2400, new in box for $150.00, from a friend. What cam and gear can I get away with using this converter. I would like to run a 509 cam with 355 to 390 gear. What you fella's think? :toothy7:

74Swangur,
DON'T use the .509 as it has too much overlap for the 383 and the short stroke, IMO you would be better off with the .474 cam or the like from comp cams. Something in the extreme energy line, try to keep the duration to less than 230 @ .050 for the converter used and you'll be alot happier with the gear and parts stated.

74swangur said:
Lookin for sugesstions for Cam, Converter & Gear. I am building a 383 and I have already aquired a TCI Breakaway Torque Converter/advertised flash 2400, new in box for $150.00, from a friend. What cam and gear can I get away with using this converter. I would like to run a 509 cam with 355 to 390 gear. What you fella's think? :toothy7:

I'm using a 383 in my Demon with 3.91 gears, 3000 stall converter, Mopar .509" cam, Demon 750 DP'r, Weiand single plane, ported heads and schumacher headers and mounts. It goes hard to 6000RPM and I like them lumpy as hell at idle. Forget the power brakes with this cam and manifold.

P6020033 (Custom).JPG

74swangur said:

I gotta go with BJRacing on this one. Demon seed has a nice street bruiser combo going. But your going to need to be certain on where your going. Since you allready have a lower converter, the 292 in there will act doggie. The 3.90 gear set is what I would use at a min. with that cam.

What intake do you have?
Are your heads stock?
What valve sizes are in the head?
Comp ratio of the engine should be 9.0-1 or better at a min.

If your heads are stock, and will remain that way, I would look at a Crane split duration cam. There centerlines are on a 112. This will help keep cylinder pressure up and low end performance good.
If your heads are ported, but not a full on or out job, the XE perscribed by BJR is a good idea for sure. The more balanced the heads air flow is, the less of a split or extra duration on the exhaust side you'll need in a cam.
Look for the RPM cruise range you'll be in when choosing the cam. Be honest about it. Also, check out the cams suggested stall converter range often listed with the cam specs. Comp Cams and Crane does this.

I agree with BJR, Rumble and Adam. I just don't like that 292/.509 cam. You will need lots of compression, convertor and gear to be happy with it. Anything less and you will have very low vacuum. So many other cams out there that will work better with your combo. Good luck, Terry.

-
Back