Cam Discussion

-

64drtGt

Slant Six Lunatic
Reaction score
Me and my dad were talking last night and it came to cams and It got me actually thinking and I really don't know because I have never actually learned yet so I thought I would come here and have the same discussion.

What is the differences between a hydraulic flat tapett cam and a roller hydraulic cam besides at the bare minimum 150 bucks?

the rollers use a roller on the lifter face to ride the cam lobe.

Attachments

• lifter.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 168
  • lifter1.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 165
yeah we know that but what is the difference in the actually piece of metal that is the cam? I guess what I am trying to learn is why do cam company's charge that extra 125-200 bucks couldn't a roller lifter be used on pretty much any cam?

What is the differences between a hydraulic flat tapett cam and a roller hydraulic cam besides at the bare minimum 150 bucks?

lol, sorry, i was going off of this statement ^

yeah we know that but what is the difference in the actually piece of metal that is the cam? I guess what I am trying to learn is why do cam company's charge that extra 125-200 bucks couldn't a roller lifter be used on pretty much any cam?

this is from LUNATI

Sliding frictional forces are higher than rolling frictional forces. Therefore, a roller cam takes less horsepower to turn and generally does not wear out as quickly. An added benefit is that roller tappets do not require replacement when changing cams. And, if "pop-up" solid roller tappets are used, the camshaft can be swapped without removing the intake manifold.
If a cam profile has more "area under the curve," it has the potential to make more power. Roller profiles can be more "aggressive" and accelerate the tappet more than a flat tappet profile.

Flat tappet profiles can only be shaped up to the point where the tappet "digs into" the profile. Roller tappet profiles are not limited by this condition-so much that even "inverted radius" profiles are possible.

This benefits engine performance in two ways: more tappet lift can be achieved without the added duration that would normally be required to "ramp up" a flat tappet to the added lift-making the lift curve more "pointy"; the lift curve can be made "broader" without increasing lift. Of course, both of these benefits can be combined to create a profile that can easily outperform flat tappet cams.

Unfortunately, roller camshaft systems cost more than a flat tappet cam and lifters. Much of the added cost is due to the lifters. However, roller tappets can be re-used, where as flat tappets cannot not be re-used. If you tear down your engines frequently, the rollers can be used over and over again provided they are not damaged or show signs of wear.

Attachments

• lifter2.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 162
  • lifter3.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 155
The cams are totally different in design.

Roller cams are cut square so the wheel has a flat surface to ride on.

Flats are cut with a very slight angle to promote spinning of the lifter.

You can't swap lifters from one to the other. It will be a huge mess.

How much work to convert a LA360 to a roller camshaft and can it be done?

You'd be better off finding a pre magnum roller 360. The last year they made them was 91. They will have the bosses for the tappet retainers already cast into the block.

retro roller lifters ...350 dollars
hydraulic roller cam....325 dollars..
new pushrods..........80.00

will you need new spring too?

also due to the taller roller lifters...you pushrod tunnels in the heads might need to clearance..

Yes it can be done and is done all the time.

-
Back