Cam Grease?

-

Mojoe9955

Reaction score
I got a new Lunati flat tappet cam and this came with it. There is only 5/8 of an once, not much for 16 lobes and lifters. The journals still need lube as well. I was going to use some Lucas or Ultra Slick for them.
I called the Comp tech line and the guy said if it was going to sit and it probably will for a few days, he said get some black grease and use that... black tube from O'Riley or Auto Zone. Is this what he means? I also have some nasty heavy, sticky black grease, nasty stuff,
I've use on throw out bearings as well.
While I'm at it,any suggestions on break-in oil?
Thanks

20231011_181127.jpg

20231010_131857.jpg

20231011_181203.jpg

we use the moly grease on lobes and lifter bottoms, maxima oil makes a breakin oil, 10-30 or 10-40,. just food for thought.

That Driven assembly grease is great for cams, as is molybdenum disulfide assembly lubricant mentioned above.

My original thinking was...is 5/8 of an once of grease enough to install one cam?
Sould the packet be used sparingly or should I get enough moly to use generously?
Use some zinc rich additive with the break-in oil

Here’s what I think that cam company is thinking. 5/8 ths of a once is a little lacking IMO, but it can be done. The journals should see oil supply instantly. So! If you prime the oiling system and rotate the assembly and then apply the cam break in lube, you’re good to go.

I like the Isky cam lube as it sticks to the lobes to the point you can leave it there a long time without issues.

The additives above you have, the sta-lube is like the Isky stuff. The “Driven” I have used before and is good, the ultra stick I personally didn’t like so much but does work. The Lucas is not for camshaft break in. It works well for bearings. I used it for the cam journals, crank/rod bearings.

Here’s what I think that cam company is thinking
I got a small packet like that with a cam, and the way I figured it was Gibbs cut price on those little packets to sell them to cam companies with the hope you'll get half way through and run out, then have to buy a larger container to be sure you've got enough to finish it.

Yeah, I'm a little bit cynical.

I hear what your saying Bob. It maybe off the shelf somewhere, not around me though. I'm not sticking around for the USPS to deliver more so I decided to make a move today and used the Driven. It's pretty slick and sticky so it's hard to load it up even if you tried, I used about a 1/3 of a pack on the cam lobes and the red stuff on the journals. It looks like I'll have plenty for the lifters.
Hopefully it will all work out.

-
Back