cam id

-
Status
Not open for further replies.

mopardart44067

Reaction score
I just got a cam in a trade.he said it was a 509 mopar cam but after checkin it out its not.it has 3 bolts.its got purple paint on one end and part number 252341 have no idea what it is.

They make two different types of cams for big blocks. One with only one bolt, and another with three bolts. You need to know what you need so you can get the right one.

Could possibly be duration (252) and lobe lift (.341), although that's a lot of lift per duration. It would be .511 with a 1.5 rocker, but those are certainly possible specs. No clue on brand. I spent like 20 minutes searching it as a part number.

Thanks for the help.I will just take it to machine shop with my crank dont know anything about it either along with the 6.800 length rods

Geez a month ago you said you were takin it to the machine shop. Why would somebody with the same cam with the same part number be able to help unless they had a cam card? You cannot determine lift by measuring the entire lobe. You have to either install it in an engine and measure lift with a dial indicator, OR put the cam on V blocks and measure it with a dial indicator. Because cam manufacturers put the lobes anywhere on the cam core they want to, that is the only way. You've been given the instructions, now use them. Either measure it yourself or take it to a machine shop. Asking the question multiple times just because you don't like the answer and want a different one won't result in much.

All Chrysler sold (mopar) "performance" cams are called purple shaft cams and have purple paint on them, typically on the forward end as seen in your pictures. The subject of trying to ID a cam by casting marks or stampings has come up many times, and they seem to be of no useful information and do not translate into a part number or lift / duration. As was stated a few times here, the only way to know for sure is to measure it with v blocks and a dial indicator.

I believe the number on the end is a blank #. It means something to the manufacturer before it is ground into a finished cam. I have heard this anyway?
You will have to measure the cam. I have several mystery cams on the shelf I will have to measure someday. Never get around to it. Seems I always end up buying new.
I do know that mystery cams are cheap. Would be good for your budget engine. I would install it and see what it is.
What cam are you wanting? Solid. Hyd or roller? Lift?

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back