Cam my 416

-

Foomaster

Reaction score
Hey. Looking for help or even approval of a cam my machine shop guy and I picked out for my 416 stroker.

We ended up picking on a Comp cam purple flat tapet, part number 20-671-4. 484,484-239, 246.

Purpose of this motor is streetable. Going into a 72 Duster, disc brakes all the way round with booster, reared gears 3:55 true tracs. I think compression closer to mid to high 9s. Pump gas.

I hear these strokes are good for 500HP but I'm happy with a sleeper 425HP. I was wondering if this cam is perfect or do I need to bump it up a tad. Just don't want a lopey car that I can't keep running at stop lights and is not a pooch.

Thanks in advance
Foo

I would think that lift is a little low. What heads? I run a 230/243 split on a 112 in mine, made 505hp and 526tq on the dyno.

I'd call and pick Dave Hughes (Hughes Engines) mind and see what he recommends. Give him all the information you have and make it clear what you're wanting to do with the car. You're going to love the 416, they think they're big blocks.:D

Hey. Looking for help or even approval of a cam my machine shop guy and I picked out for my 416 stroker.

We ended up picking on a Comp cam purple flat tapet, part number 20-671-4. 484,484-239, 246.

Purpose of this motor is streetable. Going into a 72 Duster, disc brakes all the way round with booster, reared gears 3:55 true tracs. I think compression closer to mid to high 9s. Pump gas.

I hear these strokes are good for 500HP but I'm happy with a sleeper 425HP. I was wondering if this cam is perfect or do I need to bump it up a tad. Just don't want a lopey car that I can't keep running at stop lights and is not a pooch.

Thanks in advance
Foo

Is that a solid or hydraulic. I think it's a little light on the lift, but I don't know what heads you're running. The LSA is good for your use. You could get away with some more duration but if you are worried about street manners it's better to error on the side of less duration.

The heads we talked about going with were Eldelbrocks with a 63cc head I believe. That is a solid cam. Hydraulic gets expensive for what I'm entending.

Thanks.

You have it backwards. The part number you posted is a hydraulic grind. The solid would require more expense with adjustable rockers and different pushrods.

That said, IMO, that cam is better than good for a street motor. It will last a long time, make good power and be very reliable. Also easier on the valve train than some of the others. If I already had it, I would run it.

That line from Comp is ground specifically for the Chrysler .903 lifter diameter. Plus, unlike all the others, it is ground on a 108 LSA which makes it act "bigger". I think it will run well for you.

Also, if you don't plan to race it for every last bit of power, you should be able to call Comp and get a single spring recommendation that will work fine with it.

The heads we talked about going with were Eldelbrocks with a 63cc head I believe. That is a solid cam. Hydraulic gets expensive for what I'm entending.

Thanks.

Please explain. Actually for what you described I'd think a hydraulic would be ideal.

Yes I did. My apologies. I'm not engine smart at all. Thanks for the correction.

Yes I did. My apologies. I'm not engine smart at all. Thanks for the correction.

Gottcha.

Is this car a stick or auto? If it's an auto and you are planning on running a stock converter that will play into the decision too.

As far as keeping an engine with a big cam happy at idle in gear or not is all about the combination of timing, carb tune and the correct converter.

Cams need to be matched to the other components, heads, compression, CI, converter, rear gear, weight and intended use. That's why I recommended calling Dave, he has years and years of experience building engines and selling cams. It never hurts to ask.

The setup Rusty is talking about and you are asking about sounds like the best return on smiles per hour and number of hours of fun. My first 440 had a fairly small cam and single springs but was a torque monster that sent many brand X cars home on a trailer when I drove to the track. Years later they would have something new and I was still on the same engine....

Using a bullet mech solid lift roller camshaft 570 lift 230-245 duration in my 340 stroker
engine dynoed 502 hp 580 ft lbs torque runs on pump gas idles smooth,very streetable
and you better be ready when you floor it.

That cam might be fine for a 318 but your building a stroked 340(416) its really SMALL and your using a good set of heads that cost good money,make use of them and try a different cam i like the Lunati "voodoo" series have used 3 different grinds great success with them..

That cam is geared for small block 318 to 360. My machinist said that the bigger cubes will tame choppy idles. He had recommended the street nostalgia cam which like a .475 lift I believe. When he told me the tame theory that's when I bumped up to the .484 cam. Would I be better off running the same cam but with the radical settings. 20-672-4/.508,.508 .274,.254.

Stroke340 what type of grind you recommend for my application going voodoo?

The cubic inches will to a degree tame a hotter cam but LSA will have a vast effect on it as well.

That cam is geared for small block 318 to 360. My machinist said that the bigger cubes will tame choppy idles. He had recommended the street nostalgia cam which like a .475 lift I believe. When he told me the tame theory that's when I bumped up to the .484 cam. Would I be better off running the same cam but with the radical settings. 20-672-4/.508,.508 .274,.254.

Stroke340 what type of grind you recommend for my application going voodoo?

I ran this cam in my 416 very streetable very happy with the results..
Lun-10200703 .494/.513........

I had a Comp 292H in my 416 and it was great. I replaced it with a Voodoo solid roller. You wanna buy that cam and new lifters? Shoot me a PM.

Like the numbers on the Voodoo cam stroke340. Priced it and compared to the competion cam and the voodoo kit is almost 40 bucks lower.

Like the numbers on the Voodoo cam stroke340. Priced it and compared to the competion cam and the voodoo kit is almost 40 bucks lower.

Go for it i've also run their .513/.533 and .533/.552 cam..

Done and ordered the Lun-10200703LK kit. Free Tshirt included. Thanks everyone for your help.

Done and ordered the Lun-10200703LK kit. Free Tshirt included. Thanks everyone for your help.

Nice..as for the Edelbrocks have your builder go through them and check them out before bolting them on,mine are slightly ported and have performed very well on my 416 and 360..

I would go fairly mild with mid 9 CR. Call bullit, or crower, or some others mentioned above. My guess would be somewhere around 520 to 540 lift with about 230I and 236E give or take a couple. 110 CL.

-
Back