Cam plug

-

dartfreak75

Restore it, Dont part it!
Reaction score
The cam plug in the rear of the engine did I put mine in backwards? I thought I did it right but then I was looking on my book and there's is in backwards to mine. Is mine wrong or there's? Or they both ok?

20200911_223701.jpg

20200911_223755.jpg

What's the difference between the one I used and the other one that comes in the kit?

If it doesn’t leak oil it will be ok but it would haunt me the rest of my life:lol:

Last edited:
Thanks I guess I will pop it out and put the other one in there.

Run the cam in it and see it the thrust plate will bolt on without the cam hittin the plug. If it fits, leave it alone. it ain't comin out.

Run the cam in it and see it the thrust plate will bolt on without the cam hittin the plug. If it fits, leave it alone. it ain't comin out.
It does I already put the cam in. Is the cam supposed to slide back tho? because when I put the cam in it went past the flush point like too deep

What year of a block do you have? The 2 styles were used with blocks that were machined with a different depth of the step, where the plug goes.
The depth of the "step" where this cam plug goes , on the early block is .225 inch deep from the outer most edge (that would use the "concave plug") and the depth is .385 inch for the later block (that would use the "double step" style plug).

When you reinstall that camshaft plug you only need to give it a small tap that will expand it and lock it in place. Just a little dent... That's providing you are using the older style plug that was used by Mopar.

Those plugs have a certain name... but I can't remember it! They were used in all positions in the early Hemi's and all Chrysler sixes thru 1959. And most manufacturers also used them until the 50's.

Nothing wrong with them just a bit unusual too see today. I used them in every Hemi I worked on years ago.

What year of a block do you have? The 2 styles were used with blocks that were machined with a different depth of the step, where the plug goes.
It's a 77 block. So the step plug that i used is for the newer magnum blocks?

The 77' block should use the one you chose, but turn it around. Do confirm the step depth to be sure, I've found discrepancy's in what type was used in certain years of blocks but about on average the change took place near 1975.

-
Back