Cam Selection 360

-

emmett442

Reaction score
My 1974 Dodge D200 needed a clutch. Somehow, this turned into the engine getting a refresh. I'm sure you all know how that goes.

This is a nice original survivor, and I plan to keep it that way. Might even stick with the 2 barrel.

AZW0ees.jpg

K9NXuPn.jpg

xhpbjzz.jpg

QgwJyrs.jpg

I don't have a lot of experience in modification. Wanted to pick your brains!

Cam and lifters will get replaced with a stock type. I do notice a few kits labeled "Stock replacement", "RV", "heavy duty", etc. I'd be interested in a small bump in power if it was essentially free, as in just making a different selection in cam.

Wondering if anyone has experience with the Melling SPD-22, and if anyone knows whether or not it will work with stock heads, including exhaust valve rotators? This cam is just a hair over stock lift, not much. Just wanted to see if anyone has had experience.
Melling CL-SPD-22

Appreciate any help!

Last edited:
I’ve got a 78 D-150 with the 360-2 barrel, all stock and it runs great, and I’d be inclined to reuse the cam depending on teeth and lobe condition, maybe regrind if needed as well as possibly the lifters. Send them out to be refaced if the internals, springs are good.

The Comp cam would be better. Have your factory lifters re-faced.

Just a stock 340 cam and lifter set from summit would work well , do you need new pistons ? Oh i reread your post , spd-22 is a stock 340 cam also available from summit as a summit brand in a kit w/lifters

Last edited:
When choosing a cam, consideration must be made as to how it works with the rest of your combination, heads, intake and exhaust. I would consult with a cam grinder. I’ve heard alot of good things about Oregon cam grinders. Engle also has alot of mopar experience. While lift is a consideration, duration and LSA is more important for your combination and intended use.

I'd like to reiterate that I'm not after max performance, just want to take advantage of a free/simple small upgrade if I can. If not, I'll be perfectly happy with a stock replacement, closer to what rumblefish is suggesting.

Speaking of rumblefish's suggestion, does that imply I have no room for extra lift with the exhaust rotators?

An RV cam would be nice for a heavy truck. Cam/lifter failure has to be a consideration. Good suggestions for lifter refacing and a regrind.
I used Oregon but mine was a Magnum roller. No issues.
FWIW I watched a YT video about causes of cam and/or lifter fail. It was stated that cam grind angle seems to be the issue. If you decide to replace your cam you should definitely measure for lifter crown and cam lobes should have longitudinal taper to them so that the lifters will spin in their bores.

My 1974 Dodge D200 needed a clutch. Somehow, this turned into the engine getting a refresh. I'm sure you all know how that goes.

This is a nice original survivor, and I plan to keep it that way. Might even stick with the 2 barrel.

View attachment 1716019465

View attachment 1716019466

View attachment 1716019467

View attachment 1716019468

Cam and lifters will get replaced with a stock type. I do notice a few kits labeled "Stock replacement", "RV", "heavy duty", etc. I'd be interested in a small bump in power if it was essentially free, as in just making a different selection in cam.

Wondering if anyone has experience with the Melling SPD-22, and if anyone knows whether or not it will work with stock heads, including exhaust valve rotators? This cam is just a hair over stock lift, not much. Just wanted to see if anyone has had experience.
Melling CL-SPD-22

Appreciate any help!
Beautiful truck !!!! Before answering, I'd have to ask "is this truck going to spend it's life below 3500 rpms?" If so, the stock 360 2bbl cam will great, and I'd focus on your heads and compression. My 2 cents.

Melling CL-SPD-22

Appreciate any help!

Melling SPD-22 Is the same 340/360 cam grind that comes stock on the 360 4 bbl truck engines.

Have used this cam with great success, along with the matching melling lifters.

Screenshot_20210804-085200_Gallery.jpg

Answering your question , if running the 340 cam you should ditch the 8 exhaust rotators and 360 springs . Pretty simple , 8 used intake retainers and a set of comp or enginetech 901 springs Add a cheap aluminum intake and a 600 cfm carb for a win win.

Solid roller 275 @ .050, 650 lift. Should have excellent low end. :)

I'd stay up to or below the 340 cam size in duration/lift.

Melling CL-SPD-22

Appreciate any help!
Lookin' at that truck, & what You're doin' with it, I wouldn't change a thing. Including the cam, if it looks golden & You kept track of the lifters, it IS golden. The one thing I will tell You is to be sure to have the heads cut the amount of difference between the OE head gasket thickness, & the new ones, +.010" more. Then optimize the ignition tune/curve & leave it be. Checking the cam timing is also a very good idea.

Thanks for suggestions guys,

Lifters were kept in their orientation just in case. I even quickly built a little wooden jig to do so, thinking I'd be reusing parts:
shH0BRF.jpg

But it after it was disassembled, it was clear the lifters and cam are all worn out. No catastrophic failure, all evenly wore, but lifter faces no longer convex and cam lobe peaks rounded tells me they're at the end of their life and could certainly be a problem down the road.

That said, I can't justify throwing the old stuff back in while the engine is out. It will get replaced.

Regarding ignition timing, I had previously recurved the distributor for approx 12 degrees initial and 35 degrees all in. Seemed to work well. A HUGE upgrade from the factory 1974 spec of 0 degrees initial and 20 all in.

Last edited:
I can't find the specs on that cam. They aren't listed in your link.

I also don't know the stock specs for that engine. I'm not surprised at all that your timing changes made a noticable difference. I don't see ay reason that engine wouldn't take 38 deg. HAve you tried going over 35?

IF you are looking for mild improvement in camshaft, consider the stock duration +5. or minimum 220@.050. .025" over stock lift or min .500. LSA stock to -2 deg.

That will not be anything wild, but you'll notice a difference.

Have you pulled the valves and inspected the valve faces, seats and the guides ? new seals for sure

Sure have!

Guides were a touch loose, but nothing I'm going to worry about. Didn't use a significant amount of oil after I replaced the missing/broken/deteriorated valve seals a few years back

Valves before:
JxJWCvf.jpg

Cleaned up:
1tiMDzy.jpg

Lapped:
yYCTFCX.jpg

QtUH8yh.jpg

Also of interest, I replaced the cam bearings because I discovered this during the teardown:
DXz5B6o.jpg

I can't find the specs on that cam. They aren't listed in your link.

I also don't know the stock specs for that engine. I'm not surprised at all that your timing changes made a noticable difference. I don't see ay reason that engine wouldn't take 38 deg. HAve you tried going over 35?

IF you are looking for mild improvement in camshaft, consider the stock duration +5. or minimum 220@.050. .025" over stock lift or min .500. LSA stock to -2 deg.

That will not be anything wild, but you'll notice a difference.
I did not try going over 35 because it pinged slightly and occasionally where I had it, which I was surprised about. Perhaps that will be alleviated after this cleanup.

And yes, I did verify the accuracy of the balancer after pinging so early!

no need to get crazy with your rebuild, dont need to do much else but
install the Melling SPD-22 and you will be very happy. I see some really bad so called advice...

Sounds like the Melling cam is the right one. I might have missed it but are you using long tube headers?

Holley has a 500 cfm 2 bbl. I think 500 cfm + longtubes/ 2.5” pipes all controlled by a 340 cam would make a great 360 cu. in. air pump.

Last edited:
I did not try going over 35 because it pinged slightly and occasionally where I had it, which I was surprised about. Perhaps that will be alleviated after this cleanup.

And yes, I did verify the accuracy of the balancer after pinging so early!
Try rounding off all the sharp edges in the combustion chambers on the head now that you have them off. That may help with some of the pinging. Don’t go too crazy though.

Nice truck by the way. I had a 79, loved that truck. More than the 3 of the other next generation that I had.

-
Back