Cam selection help, SB 340

-

MoparMike1974

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Stock 340 in a dart sport. Auto trans, 3.21 gear power brakes. I plan on keeping this car mostly stock. I will be installing a 650 AVS 2 carb and rpm air gap when the cam is changed. TTI 2.5" exhaust on order. Other than that the car will remain stock. I dont want something too wild, has to stay streetable.
Right now im looking at this cam from Comp.
Comp Cams High Energy Hydraulic Cam Kit
And this purple shaft....
Mopar Perf. ''Purple Shaft'' Hydraulic Camshaft Kit

Opinions welcomed

You have gotton this far. And your going to let some Yahoos like us on FABO site to pick your cam? You have guts. Let the games begin. How about a stock 273 2 bbl cam?

If the engine is going to remain stock, why not leave the stock 340 cam in? It's a great piece that's difficult to improve upon, with the engine stock. A good carburetor, intake and headers, along with a hot distributor curve will set that thing on FIRE. IMO it already has the best cam in it.

I'd go with comp's xe256h or xe262h
Stock cam is similar to xe250h.
Out of the 2 you choose I'd go with the 1st.

Forget the shelf cams... most are Chevy grinds for a Chevy lifter diameter... it DOES make a difference. Howard's can grind a Mopar shaft... I use www.jonescams.com .

The stock 340 cam is good. The old 214/224 cam that everyone has out from sealed power/speed pro etc.

I wouldn't worry about a fast ramp mopar cam. Go with something mellow as long term use appears more important.

Voodoo 701 would be OK. I'd stay away from that MP you selected.

Yeah, not sure why some of the purple shafts are priced sky high and others are not. They jacked the price up on some of them.
I just looked up the specs of the stock cam and I think I will wait until I get my exhaust on and see how it runs. I do need to get the stock intake and thermoquad off there. The carb has some issues.

The stock 340 cam is good. The old 214/224 cam that everyone has out from sealed power/speed pro etc.

I wouldn't worry about a fast ramp mopar cam. Go with something mellow as long term use appears more important.

Voodoo 701 would be OK. I'd stay away from that MP you selected.
ive run that 701 in 72 340/727/323s, pretty mellow idle,good vacuum and could sure lay a long set of stripes on the pavement!

If these are cheap, then this “Up Graded 340 cam” from MP is what I’d go with.
“P4452761” below or the Lunati with a little more split and lift.
Voodoo Hydraulic Flat Tappet Cam - Chrysler 273-360 268/276 - Lunati Power

MP purple cam.
Intake Duration, Nominal
268°
Exhaust Duration, Nominal
272°
Intake Duration @ .050”
228°
Exhaust Duration @ .050”
231°
Intake Lobe Centerline
108° ATDC
Exhaust Lobe Centerline
112° BTDC
Lobe Separation Angle
110°
Overlap
50°
Intake Opens
26° BTDC
Exhaust Opens
68° BBDC
Intake Closes
62° ABDC
Exhaust Closes
24° ATDC
Intake Lift
.450”
Exhaust Lift
.455"
Note: as installed on 108° centerline per Chrysler

I'm running the Lunati Voodoo 10200701 in my 318 and it was nice with my old 2.76 gears. With my new 4.10 gearing, I'm wanting a little more. I am thinking the 10200703, but that is probably more than you would want.

701 or 702 would be my preference, depending on how and where you get on it.

wow,responses are all over the place.
I'm with Rusty on this one.The stock piece is a great cam.The generic 204 / 214 ... 429 / 444 would be stronger at lo rpm and street light to street light with excellent mileage.
Even a warmed 340 will run hard with the stock intake, an air gap may not improve your performance.

After listening closely to the stock cam I can hear that it is rather aggressive. I have had many 340's over the years but I dont think I have ever had one with a stock cam in it.
Anyways right now it has some home made 2" dual exhaust, restricted as hell. I just got my 2.5" TTI kit today so hope to get time this weekend to get it put on. Once I get the exhaust opened up I will decide if I want to mess with a cam.
I ordered a 650 AVS2 and an rpm air gap today. Main reason on the intake is to go to square bore. The stock 340 intake does perform well although it weighs a ton.

No, just wanted to warm up the engine a little. I do like a rough lope sound but certainly dont select a cam based on that.

Grab that older 214/224 cam that is available. It makes good power, has a slight chop to it. Great camshaft that can get a well tuned car over 100mph in the 1/4, even with 3.23 gears.

-
Back