Cam shaft 101

-

ClarkDart70

Street Machines Limited
Reaction score
Guys, I'm doing a mild 360 build on a budget so the specs will all be pretty OEM but I'd like to put in a mild cam. What lift and duration would be best suited with stock length push rods, valves, and lifters? 77 la block and heads. I run a weiand intake and 650 4 bbl carb.Thanks
Clark

What gear? Transmission? Auto? What converter? In fact, what CAR?

You should consider springs as much of a cam swap as lifters. The 901-16 Comp springs are very affordable. Also, I would put in a nice true roller timing chain.

You bet. To give you some perspective, I had a 71 Dart. I found a 71 360 in a local junkyard. As usual, I was broke. lol I hung it on an engine stand in the driveway and tore it down. Amazingly, it still had cross hatch on the std bores. The guides and seats were perfect. I just lapped the valves back in and assembled them with the Comp 901s. Stuck new rings and bearings in it after cleaning and honing it.

I built a stock 904 with a shift kit and a factory high stall and had a 3.23 8 3/4 sure grip under the car already. I had a stock iron TQ intake and a 340 TQ with headers. That cam and lifters I recommended above, the timing chain and headers along with a MP ignition were all that was not stock.

My first time out, the car went 13.99 @ 101 MPH. With borrowed slicks and a 4.10 sure grip that car went a best of 13.40s. It was a fun little car. I drove it literally every single day.

Sorry, I have one disagreement here and I think that the Crane springs should be used since the require no head work to install and use them. The Comp springs require head work to the spring area for there useage.

Now THAT I was not aware of. Thanks Rob!

no...comp 901 springs are a single spring with damper...no head work is needed..

no...comp 901 springs are a single spring with damper...no head work is needed..

That's what I determined when I installed them, I haven't had any issues at all.

I kinda thought Rob might know something I wasn't aware of.

A stockish 360 works pretty good with a XE268H or a voodoo 402 or 403 cam

-
Back