Cam size?

-

woojo6

Reaction score
I am wanting some feedback on the cam size to run in my 360. I have it in a 1972 duster with 13/1 compression ported and polished heads and a 727 with 4.10 gears and a 3000 stall. The cam i am running now is a .488 lift and was thinking of the .530 lift cam. I bought the car with this motor and its currently run's 12.5's in the 1/4 and im wanting to get it in the 11's. I am new to the game and any feedback would be appreciated.

If it has real 13 to 1 compression I hope you are running straight racing gas. If so it must just be a drag car. You likely can run much more cam, the 3,000 stall is your limiting factor.

I would GUESS something with 108 LBC and around 250 duration @ .050 would easily work, maybe even 106 and 260-270..but then a 4,500 stall converter might be needed.

Are you sure about the CR? ET seems slow with that CR, i would do a compression psi test you should see in the neighborhood of 210 to 230 psi if its indeed 13.1, and if thats the case i would steep up up big time to something in the 575 lift and 250 @.050 lift range. of coarse you would have to check all clearances.

If it has real 13 to 1 compression I hope you are running straight racing gas. If so it must just be a drag car. You likely can run much more cam, the 3,000 stall is your limiting factor.

I would GUESS something with 108 LBC and around 250 duration @ .050 would easily work, maybe even 106 and 260-270..but then a 4,500 stall converter might be needed.

I bought it as a cruiser but yes i run 115 in it and i figured if i have to run the fuel i might want to make the best of it with some engine mods. im looking for the best bang for my bck as everyone does. It has a demon carb that i was told is 1000cfm.

I spoke to the engine builder that built the motor and he said that its in the 12.5-13/1 compression. Big domes i guess. I was wondering if the .530 lift cam will make a noticable difference.

with that sky high compression i would at least 260 degree@50 and about 600 lift.hope your ignition is good,don't want to blow out the candles...lol

Yeah it has all the MSD gooodies on it. Thanks for all the imput and ill let you know how it turns out.

Anything longer than about 28" will hang out the ends :D.
If you want help picking a camshaft you need to post a lot more on your setup. What are the incrementals on the passes you've made with it? What fuel do you run? What carb, exhaust, shift points, any info on the heads on it now?

Woojo, it's not about lift, but it is about duration and overlap of the cam. The actual cam events, the timing of when, where and how long the valves are open.

Anything longer than about 28" will hang out the ends :D.
If you want help picking a camshaft you need to post a lot more on your setup. What are the incrementals on the passes you've made with it? What fuel do you run? What carb, exhaust, shift points, any info on the heads on it now?
It has 2.02/1.60 steel heads that have had a port and polish job done, it has 3" flow master exhaust on it that i just put on it this past summer, 850cfm demon carb, im running 115 turbo in it. It revs to 6500 rpm where i set the rev limiter at. MSD 6AL ignition. I bought the car like this and have only added the exhaust and sportsman pro tires. The current cam is a mopar .280/ .484 . I have 4 time slips with it and info is as follows! These are averages through 4 passes, 2.0-2.2 60ft times,1/8 mile best 8.2, and mile per hour tops was 109 through the 1/4. Im looking for some help with what i have now to work with to get it in the 11's. Thanks for the help guys!

If you ran a much longer duration and upped the stall you'd be able to run a lot less octane I would think...

Your running a 13-1 comp. engine and a turbo?

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO-kay.

I think he means Turbo Blue fuel... IMo, VP is a better product but I think regardless he's got too much octane there. 112 should be enough to run that engine with no detonation. But, I have other concerns. Namely the 2.0 60'. The 60' is where you really shave time. .1 in the 60' is equal to .3 in the quarter. The 109hp means you're making around 375hp. That's fairly low. I think you have other issues with the package. First, the basics... What is your timing curve like? Do you have any cylinder pressure readings? Was the camshaft degreed? Do you have flow numbers on the heads? I'd expect that kind of figure from a 10:1 stock headed 340 with that camshaft. Something's pretty wrong there. It should also be 60 footing in the 1.8 range at least.

I think he means Turbo Blue fuel... IMo, VP is a better product but I think regardless he's got too much octane there. 112 should be enough to run that engine with no detonation. But, I have other concerns. Namely the 2.0 60'. The 60' is where you really shave time. .1 in the 60' is equal to .3 in the quarter. The 109hp means you're making around 375hp. That's fairly low. I think you have other issues with the package. First, the basics... What is your timing curve like? Do you have any cylinder pressure readings? Was the camshaft degreed? Do you have flow numbers on the heads? I'd expect that kind of figure from a 10:1 stock headed 340 with that camshaft. Something's pretty wrong there. It should also be 60 footing in the 1.8 range at least.

Those 60' times was with street tires spinning im sure. I changing to the mickey thompson pro's this winter so im hoping that will help get out faster off the line. I am new to this so Im learning as i go. I dont really have any more information on the set up but i do know that it runs really well this way with no issues. It lights up like a light switch and takes all the fuel ill give it but the times is were i am unhappy with. Compared to every thing i read online this thing should run better times! I was just needing info on where to go from here. I thought that a cam swap and a converter swap may be needed to get those times down. I thank all for the feedback and if there is any more info that you guys can give me to help me along i would appreciate it.

-
Back