Cam Specs is this too big a cam for me?

-

cmorrow

Reaction score
Hello all, It has been a long time since I've looked at Camshafts, and don't remember exactly what are good numbers for int. exh. duration and lift. The reason I ask is I've found a cam at a reasonable price that is new and wondered if it is a perfect fit for me? The Cam is a roller cam and the specs are INT=262 EXH=307 Dur= 206-245 Lift= INT=450 EXH 541. My car is a Duster with a 318 with a roller cam its a 88 motor, headers, 4 barrel intake and a 904, at the moment manual brakes. Is this cam too wild for the engine without a stall converter, as I said its been forever since I've thought about or bought a cam and the 541 seems high?

I think it would work great you should still have a close to stock idle with good vacuum. and pick up 30 hp over a stockcamshaft .

As long as the heads can accept the lift under the valve spring, you'll be fine.

Hello all, It has been a long time since I've looked at Camshafts, and don't remember exactly what are good numbers for int. exh. duration and lift. The reason I ask is I've found a cam at a reasonable price that is new and wondered if it is a perfect fit for me? The Cam is a roller cam and the specs are INT=262 EXH=307 Dur= 206-245 Lift= INT=450 EXH 541. My car is a Duster with a 318 with a roller cam its a 88 motor, headers, 4 barrel intake and a 904, at the moment manual brakes. Is this cam too wild for the engine without a stall converter, as I said its been forever since I've thought about or bought a cam and the 541 seems high?
450 INT 541 EXH ?????:eek:ops: is it solid or hyd? if its 550 INT 541 EXH its to big with out a stall!!!!

I am very confused by those specs. I think you made a mistake reading them.

weird cam specs...

[ame="http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Comp-Cam-Roller-20-000-9-Custom-Grind-Mopar-Small-Block-Chrysler-Dodge-/321521241566?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4adc28cdde&vxp=mtr"]New Comp Cam Roller 20 000 9 Custom Grind Mopar Small Block Chrysler Dodge | eBay[/ame]

Is it just me or does it seem like someone screwed up to specs (said the wrong number) and now can't return and is trying to recover some losses? Just sayin.

no, its a roller on the intake lobe, and a flat tappet on the exhaust, that's because intake likes lift and exhaust is more dependent on duration

no, its a roller on the intake lobe, and a flat tappet on the exhaust, that's because intake likes lift and exhaust is more dependent on duration

Wait what? How can cam have roller lobe and a flat tappet lobe on the same cam? What than keeps the single roller lifter from spinning? I know they have single, dual (or split if you prefer) and quad duration cams; however, I've never heard or seen a two different style lobes (roller and flat tappet) on the same cam. That said, why would someone want that other than to prove it can be done? I'm a massive fan of roller cams, they bring you into the power curve sooner and keep you there longer vs a flat tappet cam.

I wouldn't touch that cam with a 10 foot pole unless it was FREE and I could send it back to be reground.

Thanks guys, I was trying to match it up with something this morning before work and thought I was too tired and it had been too long.. I'm glad I didn't waste any money on that cam...

I wouldn't touch that cam with a 10 foot pole unless it was FREE and I could send it back to be reground.

Likewise "crackedback".

Thanks guys, I was trying to match it up with something this morning before work and thought I was too tired and it had been too long.. I'm glad I didn't waste any money on that cam...

I'd love to know what that thing was ground for??? I'm glad you didn't bite on it though. :thumbrig:

Uhh, I think you read the specs backwards and not sure where you got their a mix of lobes. It shows more lift and duration on the exhaust, and I looked up the lobes in the Comp catalog. They are indeed a tremendous duration and lift split and I would in no way want it but the int and exh are both roller lobes.Not a mix

Uhh, I think you read the specs backwards and not sure where you got their a mix of lobes. It shows more lift and duration on the exhaust, and I looked up the lobes in the Comp catalog. They are indeed a tremendous duration and lift split and I would in no way want it but the int and exh are both roller lobes.Not a mix

It was a joke

That's the weirdest cam spec I've ever seen. I am surprised it actually got produced like that without someone pulling the pin.. I wonder what it was for?

A misinformed turbo grind perhaps?

-
Back