Cam suggestions for 5.9 Magnum in Canyon/Road racer?

-

Cornernfool

Reaction score
So I've purchased a 360 Magnum to stuff in my 75 Plymouth Valiant. I need to pull the heads to redrill for the LA pattern as I've purchased the Edelbrock multiport injection to install on it. Well as normal, one thing leads to another. If I'm pulling the heads off, I might as well change valve springs and cam. So here we go, 360 Magnum, 9-1 comp, Edelbrock multiport system, TTI headers, 904 trans, 325 gears. Car likes to play in the canyons, and a few Targas a year. What do you suggest for cam and springs? Thanks in advance. Mike.

This is a street car you drive around a lot?? Looking for low maintenance and tuning ???

If so... Something with good mid-range up torque and HP. Thinking under .550 lift, under 250 duration @.050, with 110 or 112 (for EFI) centerline. The cam will recommend the springs to use. Should be over 1hp/1cid. Roughly 400hp range or so.

What heads?? Doing any port work or clean up??

Last edited:
This is a street car you drive around a lot?? Looking for low maintenance and tuning ???

If so... Something with good mid-range up torque and HP. Thinking under .550 lift, under 250 duration @.050, with 110 or 112 (for EFI) centerline. The cam will recommend the springs to use. Should be over 1hp/1cid. Roughly 400hp range or so.

Ya, it's just a toy not my daily. It's an ATK crate motor from Jegs, stock magnum heads, stock converter also. I'd like to put a stick in it but I need a new left knee now so the 904 is staying.

Okay! In that case, Hughes magnum spring upgrade kit and specs closer to what auto x Cuda said. There are some Howard’s hydraulic roller LA cams that are available at competition enterprises that would work pretty well for you. While you have the heads off, you can have the guides machined to work with any cam you choose.

I was looking at the Lunati 20200715 cam. 264/270 @50 213/219 .485 lift, 112/106 LC. Thoughts? to small?

I would talk to Ken Heard at Oregon Cam Grinding. You can send a stock magnum core to him and he’ll show you your best options from his grind list and make a recommendation.

Okay! In that case, Hughes magnum spring upgrade kit and specs closer to what auto x Cuda said. There are some Howard’s hydraulic roller LA cams that are available at competition enterprises that would work pretty well for you. While you have the heads off, you can have the guides machined to work with any cam you choose.

Something a step or so hotter than the Lunanti he posted... like this? Or more?

HYDRAULIC ROLLER CAMSHAFT AND LIFTER KIT; 1964 - 2003 CHRYSLER 273, 340, 360 1200 TO 5700 HOWARDS CAMS CL711915-12

Year:
 1964 - 2003
Make:
 Chrysler
Engine:
 273, 340, 360
Camshaft Type:
 Hydraulic Roller
Basic RPM Range:
 1200 to 5700
Valve Lift Intake:
Valve Lift Exhaust:
Duration Intake:
Duration Exhaust:
Duration at 050 Intake:
Duration at 050 Exhaust:
Lobe Separation:
Intake Centerline:

I would talk to Ken Heard at Oregon Cam Grinding. You can send a stock magnum core to him and he’ll show you your best options from his grind list and make a recommendation.

That would be very cost effective. Custom cam, maybe something that works a little better with EFI, using your core...

Last edited:
PM @RustyRatRod and ask him about Oregon Cam Grinders. He's got a profile that's pretty sweet. Another member here posted a canyon drive with one.

PM @RustyRatRod and ask him about Oregon Cam Grinders. He's got a profile that's pretty sweet. Another member here posted a canyon drive with one.
I’ve got a local friend who followed my advice and sent several cams to Ken to be reground. He’s very happy with the results so far.​

Something a step or so hotter than the Lunanti he posted... like this? Or more?

HYDRAULIC ROLLER CAMSHAFT AND LIFTER KIT; 1964 - 2003 CHRYSLER 273, 340, 360 1200 TO 5700 HOWARDS CAMS CL711915-12

Year:
 1964 - 2003
Make:
 Chrysler
Engine:
 273, 340, 360
Camshaft Type:
 Hydraulic Roller
Basic RPM Range:
 1200 to 5700
Valve Lift Intake:
Valve Lift Exhaust:
Duration Intake:
Duration Exhaust:
Duration at 050 Intake:
Duration at 050 Exhaust:
Lobe Separation:
Intake Centerline:
As far as the Howards cam I had found that was in stock the last time I looked, it was this grind.
Basic RPM Range: 1600-5600
Manufacturer's Description: Good idle, performance street, good low to mid-range torque, 9.0:1+ CR, 2500+ stall.
Intake Duration @ .050": 219
Exhaust Duration @ .050": 225
Advertised Intake Duration (@ .006"): 272
Advertised Exhaust Duration (@ .006"): 278
Intake Valve Lift with OE Rocker Ratio (1.50): .525"
Exhaust Valve Lift with OE Rocker Ratio (1.50): .525"
Intake Valve Lift with OE Magnum Rocker Ratio (1.60) .560
Exhaust Valve Lift with OE Magnum Rocker Ratio (1.60) .560
Notice it's a little smaller than the Hughes grind in the article, and which targets out of the corner torque in auto crossing. The 3.25 gears (Ford nine inch?) you had mentioned will make the combination more favorable with a conservative cam. That '75 Valiant is no lightweight in itself until you remove the crash impact absorbers from the bumpers.

Last edited:
That is a nice torque curve on that Hughes cam, though. Another consideration is if you're converting from a magnum front drive to an LA front cover. If not, you'll need a Hughes bolt and washer kit if you use an LA cam.
https://www.hughesengines.com/Index/products.php?search=7011&partid=11253
If you switch to an LA cover, you can use an LA hydraulic roller cam or core. I've done 360 LA in a 318 5.2 magnum once and the extra lift with the magnum rocker arms made an incredible grunt torque truck engine. We used early 318 truck manifolds and a chinese air gap intake with an Edelbrock 600. If you need an LA hydraulic roller core, post up a wanted thread here in a separate listing. One thing to consider with the Multiport EFI, though, is that they usually work better and are more forgiving on the tune with a 112 or wider LSA. I do recommend the 2.74:1 1st and 1.55:1 second gear set from an a999, A500 RH42/RE42 transmission and a custom converter. If you can go with that, Oregon Grind #1236 looks good from here. 224/[email protected], 274/[email protected], .554/.563 lift (with Magnum 1.6:1 rockers) on a 112 LSA. Almost identical to that Hughes grind in the dyno article. One question on the Edelbrock Multi Port; Is that the Pro Flo 4 EFI with the super victor intake? I would stay with a single plane for that system, but would be considering having an Edelbrock Torker2, Weiand Xcellerator, or Holley street dominator modified for the EFI rails. Edelbrock lists that manifold for a usable power range of 3500-8500, even in injected form. That may shift downward some with the fuel inlet point moved to the intake port flange, but that's still a lot of volume for something you want torque right now with. A 4150 style injector on an air gap manifold may be a better option.
Super Victor EFI Intake Manifold for Small-Block Chrysler LA Series Engines

Last edited:
That is a nice torque curve on that Hughes cam, though. Another consideration is if you're converting from a magnum front drive to an LA front cover. If not, you'll need a Hughes bolt and washer kit if you use an LA cam.
https://www.hughesengines.com/Index/products.php?search=7011&partid=11253
If you switch to an LA cover, you can use an LA hydraulic roller cam or core. I've done 360 LA in a 318 5.2 magnum once and the extra lift with the magnum rocker arms made an incredible grunt torque truck engine. We used early 318 truck manifolds and a chinese air gap intake with an Edelbrock 600. If you need an LA hydraulic roller core, post up a wanted thread here in a separate listing. One thing to consider with the Multiport EFI, though, is that they usually work better and are more forgiving on the tune with a 112 or wider LSA. I do recommend the 2.74:1 1st and 1.55:1 second gear set from an a999, A500 RH42/RE42 transmission and a custom converter. If you can go with that, Oregon Grind #1236 looks good from here. 224/[email protected], 274/[email protected], .554/.563 lift (with Magnum 1.6:1 rockers) on a 112 LSA. Almost identical to that Hughes grind in the dyno article. One question on the Edelbrock Multi Port; Is that the Pro Flo 4 EFI with the super victor intake? I would stay with a single plane for that system, but would be considering having an Edelbrock Torker2, Weiand Xcellerator, or Holley street dominator modified for the EFI rails. Edelbrock lists that manifold for a usable power range of 3500-8500, even in injected form. That may shift downward some with the fuel inlet point moved to the intake port flange, but that's still a lot of volume for something you want torque right now with. A 4150 style injector on an air gap manifold may be a better option.
Super Victor EFI Intake Manifold for Small-Block Chrysler LA Series Engines
So originally I was going to keep my carb and manifold, and the Jegs Magnum comes with a LA timing cover and fuel pump eccentric. So I'm assuming it has an LA cam in it? I need to pull the cover and check, possibly it has the cam extention on a Magnum cam? The 904 has just been rebuilt so whatever gear in it is staying for now. The rear is a 8 1/4 with an Auburn in it, acrtually 3.21 or 3.23. Much better than the 2.45 the car came with. I had a A500 and a disc brake 9", but with a 15 day escrow not every thing got on the truck. I have the Edelbrock multi port already so we will see what happens, and yes it's victor super so now hood issue's are going to come into play.

Thank you everyone for steering me in the correct direction, Mike

So I talked to Ken at Oregon Cam Grinders and explained my situation and this is what he suggested. #1634 grind

218/224 @ .050”, 270/276 adv, .528”/.538” lift, 110 sep, 1400/550 will work with stock converter.

Thank you Guy's for the help!

-
Back