Cam swap in a 65 273

-

B-onefan

Reaction score
I bought a package deal that included a 65 273 that was rebuilt. When I pulled the valve covers I found later style, hydraulic rocker arms. I have not pulled the intake yet to see what lifters are there, but I am thinking about replacing the cam anyways with a aftermarket hydraulic cam, lifters and running the later style arms that are on it now since I don't have the mechanical rockers and pushrods. Any problems putting a hydraulic cam in a early block? It will be a 2bbl motor in a 65 Dart convertable with a auto.

Seeing as how the engine already has non-adjustable rockers, it is a reasonably safe bet it already has a hydraulic cam and lifters so that answers the question about retro fit. Only disassembly will tell you what the cam is unless you can get a degree wheel and dial indicator on the cam presently installed.

Or leave it alone, drive it and don't worry about it.

Good luck.

So nothing has to be done to the block to swap in a hydraulic cam and lifters?

Nope. Just the right pushrods. The hydraulic ones are shorter than the solids.

Nope you can do it,in 68 they went hydraulic for the 273, that is what is in my 68 Valiant.I have installed the Jegs #200161 in it but have not driven it yet,lots more to do. Edelbrock has a nice cam for a basic stock engine that I have used before Jegs #350-2177. I was very pleased with it in a daily driver.

Great! I have no idea what was done, but I did pull a valve cover hoping it had the mechanical rockers still and was disappointed to find the later style rockers. I will pull the motor down and see what was done for sure. The previous owner would only say it was rebuilt before he got it, so who knows. I do know the heads were vatted and clean, the block looked really clean out the outside and everything was repainted Chevy orange, so who knows! The block and heads are 65 casting numbers, I do remember that. It has been sitting, sealed up for the last year and a half.

-
Back