cam swap

-

JoseyWales

Reaction score
Tomorrow I am going to attempt my first cam swap in my 318 any tips or tricks that may help me out?

what would you like to know? when you swap the cam replace your water pump & timing chain. also clean everything real good.

Just got done with one myself. Ask away. Be sure to watch the front seal on the oil pan when you put it back on.

In car? Remove the rad and A/C condensor for room. Possible center suport bar as well.

Be patient sliding the cam in. A lobe or a journal can get hung up on a cam bearing. Sometimes forcing the issue spins the cam bearing or knocks it out. The farther you go in with the cam, the easier it is to do this because you lose leverage at the front of the cam to steer it.

If this prospect bothers you, pull the intake so you can put a hand on each end of the shaft. It also makes installing lifters easier, too. Good luck.

Thanks for all the help, got er done. Installed the new cam and the 302 casting heads with 1.88 and 1.60s and new intake. Everything went smooth. Just need to save up for some early A headers now. One of these days I might acually finish this project.

-
Back