Cam talk

-
Oh good grief. I've agreed with you more than once yet you still insist on your ridiculous tirade. I guess you're just retarded.

I like the whiplash cam

Not so much for power but sound and loping

ti·rade

/ˈtīrād/
Noun
A long, angry speech of criticism or accusation: "a tirade of abuse".

I've about had it with gimmicky stuff like Thumpr and Whiplash. Crower was grinding cams with narrow LSA and longer exhaust duration 40 years ago. That's all the Thumpr and Whiplash has to produce the sound and run relatively strong. I'm just not hip on spending a mint on some bullshit name. It's sorta like the Comp Xtreme grinds. When they came out, everybody flocked to them because of the flashy name......when all along the Dual Energy series had better grinds, just a less flashy name. Most anything with a 108 or less with a 218 or more @ .050 is gonna have plenty of chop for a street car with a small block. People just don't believe it because of all the hype and bullshit.

I associate buying a cam for sound right up there with flipping the air cleaner lid over to get more sound from mom's station wagon. It goes against my better judgement which is why I haven't responded in this thread.
It's easy to pick the wrong cam - any of the Hughes or Comp stuff based on sound will be fine and give you a crappy idle.

Make sure when you do pick a cam to look at what type of valve springs it will require. Try to stay with a single spring if possible. A lot of the newer fast rate of lift cams require dual springs and you will have to pull the heads and take them to the machine shop to have the head casting around the guides milled down and have viton seals installed.

First thread I've argued like this in a while. Sorry bout that. Moper summed it up. Buying a cam for sound makes as much sense as buying a hooker for a wife.

so,instead of making a suggestion ,perhaps i should be asking................... what is the rpm range you are shooting for? and what is your primary usage?

Fair enough, to each their own.

I don't see that choosing a cam for sound is that much different to choosing an exhaust/muffler for sound.

As long as it's not a mismatch to their combination, and these cams are intended for mild builds.

Personally, having run a comp thumpr I love the reactions and comments I've gotten, especially when I have the cutouts taken off on my somewhat restrictive twin 2" system.

There's nothing funnier than pulling up to a roundabout and someone motioning that they're giving you right of way just coz they wanna hear/see you cruise by....and then you plant it and lay some rubber!:burnout:

Or hearing about how the boys in the panel shop would race to the drivers seat of your car because they wanted to drive it outside to wash it. :cheers:

Or the skeptical looks I get when I tell them it's just a 318 with factory iron heads.

Sure, It's not for everyone, but for some who just want a mild build with a killer sound...it's pure gold.

Seriously though, what do you want your car to do...you have cams from 218° @ 0.050 to 250° @ 0.050....Make up your mind on what you want your car to do, then pick a cam that MATCHES THE REST OF YOUR COMBO....just my opinion.

X2. It's not the name, or the sound, or the price, it's usable results that count.

My thumpr cam helped provide over 350lb-ft (95% of it's peak torque) from 2900-5100RPM.

I consider it a very usable power curve.

Good choice, there's a couple of "400hp" magazine builds on the internet using that camshaft.

Ok when I do the cam swap I am going to pull the heads and check how much clearance and if I have the clearance I will have the heads and the intake shaved have a 3 angle valve job and polish the head and intake ports.What HP and Tq gains would you say I get

-
Back