Cam wiped out, what the hell did I do wrong?!?!?

-
I don't believe low rpm idle killed this hughes [small in the line up they offer] cam.

but it would be nice to hear from all the guys who supposedly run hughes cams...

where you guys at??

btw r there any pinched seals?
I would like to measure the installed spring height and then put the springs on a rimac to see what they really are.

I will say this...it is my opinion that when you are running on the high side of spring pressure, to run it in at the high side of the break in rpm like 25-3000 rpm.

honestly, I have run 165 psi doubles and only angled/flat spotted 2-3 lobes on a 3742 solid hughes.
this looks WAY worse than that...so it's got me wondering.

Haven't checked the seals yet, but really wouldn't know what to look for. When I took the rockers off, I didn't notice anything, but didn't really look closely.

Carefully check if any pushrods are bent-even a tad. Well those three if you marked them Maybe it was binding somewhere. Sure was a high enough lift to cause problems with many set ups.

I be scared to death to run that amount of lift and think it last 30,000 miles but maybe they can

I'll check them. I did a visual on them when I took them out, and there was no obvious bending, but I'll check with a straight-edge or dial indicator before I consider re-using them. The heads had to have some clearancing done on them to clear the pushrods because of the lift.

Got hughes HEH 230/237 in 73 Duster
Got hughes 260/264 in 360 with eddy heads went 11.03 in 71 Dart.
Got Hughes 256/265 in 71 Dart 360 eddy heads
Got Hughes 264/268 in box waiting for next 408 to be done.
Got a two more Hughes cams not being used....

No problems with their cams on this end of the world.

And which ratio rocker arms are you using, 1.5's?

One of those is smaller than the one I wiped out. All the others are larger, in both lift and duration. Did you use lighter springs for break in? Were they double springs, and you just ran the outside spring for break-in? What was the seat pressure on them? installed height? Coil bind?
I was really sold on Hughes cams, but if they are that finicky/delicate because of their unique properties, it might not be worth the trouble for me. If break-in springs are the answer, I'd consider trying them again, but I want it to last a while.

Anyone had a Hughes cam for considerable number of miles/runs/seasons?

HEH230/237 has old crane 1.5 ductile Iron
The 256/265 has been in 2 different engines with 1.6 rockers.
Everything else is using Crane 1.6 aluminum rockers.

Forgot one...have second 256/265 solid in 340 with 1.5 rockers, use MP dual springs broken in with both springs in place.

HEH 230/237 has eddy heads with stock eddy springs 120 lbs on seat
All others are using Hughes 1111 springs and were broken in with both inner and outer springs on the heads, set at 1.80 @ 140 lbs on seat.

I still don't think it was the cam or lifter by design. Possibly a combination of lifter bore mis-alignment and what I feel is a lot of spring pressure to break them in.

What about 150 lbs seat with 350 open? I have the same valve springs as his and that's what I measured mine at. To me that seems pretty darn high to break in a new cam. JMHO

It's amazing what another 10-15psi will do to a cam, though it;s not a major step it's just enough to possibly destroy something.

150 is 10lbs more than I would go max seat for break in, it's possible it will work, and in some cases has , but to me it's rolling the dice.

I like 120 seat for break in.

you could run 350 open but only after a successful break in, and then the cam life is minutely shortened. [flat tap]

like the diff between street springs and drag race springs.
I personally have had too many instances where I'm reving the snot out of it on the street and find that the springs are rotating/carving into the spring seat slightly so I choose the drag race springs.

-
Back