Cams for Dummies ??

-
Some mfgs will have guides as to what cam you need based on compression, intended use, gearing, etc. Some of them are pretty simple...some not (you can make it as complex as you want). I would look at some of these and see what specs they are offering based on the requirements. It might be good to look at the engine's original cam spec as a starting point. Of course you can sift through YT videos and try to find the good ones.

Here is an example:
https://www.hughesengines.com/TechArticles/2choosingacam.php

ahhh the days of the PAW catalog and picking cams by position in the box and RPM range...
I have lots of old catalogs and magazines boxed up. Every few years I read a few. Loved getting the new mags in the mail and reading the paper mags.

I have lots of old catalogs and magazines boxed up. Every few years I read a few. Loved getting the new mags in the mail and reading the paper mags.
I threw 90% of my mags out a few years back, been buying them since I was like 12 in the mid 80s to mid 2000s lost interest buying them. Kept the Mopar ones.

Generally speaking, cams, close to a stock cam, and stock engine, will increase power. Slightly. If you put in a big cam you will need more compression, a different intake (that works in the cam's power range), possibly a bigger carb, headers, a higher stall torque converter, and different rear gears to make it work. Generally speaking of course.

Last edited:
I always call Ken your neighbor at Oregon.cam grinding and bring him in a cam and let him grind it for a third of the price of buying a new one and he has always got me exactly what I want. But you do have to have your specs and expectations..
As a matter of fact, I would probably just go down there and talk to the old guy i've done that before. He's really nice he'll chat with you and a world of knowledge about cams...
Both cams from my duster and one in my truck are out of his shop and I'm 100% satisfied....

I would like to understand how to pick a cam, and how all the other factors affect selecting the right cam. I'm not an idiot but just reading what I can find here it's like the harder I try to get it the less it all makes sense.

Is there a good book, website, or tutorial I can use to get a handle on this?

TIA!

Get the Billy Godbold book on cams. That’s a start. Get the Taylor books. They are a bit spendy but they are about the best books for mere mortals on engine define and theory.

Ill get you the exact title in a bit.

None of these books will teach you how to pick a cam. What they can do is educate you to make the best decision with the least amount of trail and error.

I know some guys think you slide in a cam and make high dollar power but it doesn’t work that way.

I remember Larry Morgan said back in the early 2000’s that in that off season they went through a 55 gallon drum of race fuel just testing cams. If you are familiar with dyno testing that’s probably over 100 pulls.

IIRC, they only tested 3 or 4 cams. Even they couldn’t pick the “right“ cam the first time. They had to test.

And something to remember. Most cams will make an engine run. Many will make it run better than the stock cam that's in it. Some will make it run better without changing everything in the power train to make it work. See where I'm going here? Unless you are class racing and need that last 10 horsepower to be more competitive, choosing that "perfect cam" isn't all that important. The differences in a half dozen cams will show up on a dyno sheet but you may not notice much difference at all in the seat of your pants or from stop light to stoplight. Like I mentioned in my previous post but I'll say it again a little differently, Don't go too big unless you have the rest of the combination to make it work. (or you are willing to make those changes)
A little common sense goes a long way here.

I would like to understand how to pick a cam, and how all the other factors affect selecting the right cam. I'm not an idiot but just reading what I can find here it's like the harder I try to get it the less it all makes sense.

Is there a good book, website, or tutorial I can use to get a handle on this?

TIA!
Probably be easier for you to ask question on some the points that confuse you.
And picking for a daily street vs street strip vs race vs highly competitive race all gonna have vastly different compromises.

More good info, thanks folks! I'll be dialing in a cam for the Coronet in the near future so I'll start another thread on that one when I get a bit more info on what is in the car now.

Looking at cam specs only serves to make my head spin..... All they do is confuse the hell out of me. I put what was supposed to be an erson "340 spec" cam in a 318 in a Cordoba back in the 80s, and it made a lotta noise but was the biggest disappointment/ dawg I ever had. Since, usually once I can read the cam chart on account of my head stops spinning I pick 1 or 2 smaller than what I was originally thinking.
I have had good luck with driver 318s with a noticeable improvement just by putting a stock 360-2 bbl cam in said 318. I've never been down a dragstrip, my vehicles are all dailys, that have to get us where we need to go. I see/hear of people putting all kinds of radical sounding (to me anyway) cams in their cats and claim how great they are...... Good for them. Including lots of suggestions for the "340 cam". Being that was back in the 80s I don't remember exactly the numbers of that cam I was so disappointed in, but it was supposed to be "close to"a stock 340 according to the idiot I bought from back in the "super shops" days

As a streeter, with a 367/4-speed car, I can tell you that, each of the three cams that have been in my 367, ranging from 223* to 249*@050, were perfect for at least the first summer.
That's almost a 4-size range.
My secret, is keeping the Cylinder Pressure nearly the same between each iteration, and adjusting the starter-gear to match the ever shrinking take-off torque.
Of the three;
I can tell you exactly which one I liked the least, and why. and
I can tell you exactly which one I liked the most, and why. and
I can tell you exactly what changes were needed to the rest of the combo, and why, to get the best out of them.

I have 16 years experience with that same engine, and can tell you that, it went thru 5 transmission selections and 10 different pumpkins, 3 intakes, 5 carbs, and numerous ignition changes. Then, finally, I broke down and bought/installed an overdrive, at which time, all my troubles were over.
What did I learn?
I learned, it's all about the combo; and
if you got a bad combo, yur gonna have to back up the bus and make some changes.
Or, you can pick the combo first, and
make the engine fit it, which is most often, waaaaaaaaay cheaper.
They say there is no perfect cam,
but I do not agree. The combo will pick it's own cam. The part that is not perfect is if a person wants too much from the combo, and is not willing/able to change his expectations.
In my case, right from the get-go, I needed the car to be my DD, and the first cam I picked was way off the DD-path. By the third cam, the car was no longer a DD and that first cam woulddabin perfect.
It's all about the combo.
Once the combo has pointed out the cam, optimizing the engine for the cam, is relatively straight forward.

If I learned one thing from that experience it was this;
get an overdrive before you start, so you can optimize the Second-gear hit. Until I had second gear dialed in, I was never happy with any of the iterations.
Now, afterwards, I realized that I had waaaaay more engine than I needed. It's all about the combo. If the combo wants 4.30s, you gotta get some 4.30s. If you gotta drive a lot of hiway, you gotta get an overdrive. If the combo wants a 2800 stall, you gotta get one. if it wants a 3800, well get one. If it has to run on Premium gas, well yur stuck at every filling station, emptying your wallet. Can't afford it? Then you got the wrong combo.
And so on.
Once the combo is settled, picking a cam is the easy part. The next hurdle is optimizing the engine-build for the selected cam, which is usually a one-time deal.
If you, at a later date, want a different cam, it changes everything. Well except if you have an overdrive, that is a one-time selection and she will never outwear her welcome. Same for a 2800 stall. Even if it's off a few hundred, on the street it will not be a problem, once you have an overdrive that allows crazy rear gears.
So the overdrive puts you ahead of the curve, and more or less cements the stall and rear gear, within a two or just maybe, a three cam-size window. So you aim small, using a thick headgasket running on the upper edge of the Q-window, knowing that if you upcam, you can get some pressure back with a thinner gasket, until yur Q gets to be too small.
BTW,
almost all SBM street cams are gonna run in about a four/five cam-size window of about 210 to 238 degrees @050. Honestly, IMO; beyond this window, is too hard, or too expensive, or too low-perf, or too hi-perf, to successfully install. These 5 cam sizes represent the power curve moving about 1000 rpm from say 4500 to 5500, having shift points of between say 4800 to 6000. Not many of us are gonna dare to shift regularly over 6000 on the street and you cannot usually get to 6000 in Second gear anyway, unless you risk losing your driving privileges, cuz with street gears 6000 could be over 90 mph in second gear.
And we all want more than 5000, lol. So that cam-size range pretty much covers it.
Throwing out the high and low, yur down to a range of three sizes, with an intake Ica window of say 14*, so now you are out of range for keeping in the Q window for all three cams, if wanting to do it with headgasket thicknesses. So now you are trying other things to prevent detonation. Those are the things that I learned.
All that to say;
Get the combo nailed down, then build the engine once. This is ESPECIALLY important, if you cannot afford an overdrive.

Merry Christmas

Great post AJ! Your speaking from exacting experience and your how’s and why’s with everything tested. This is a bullseye on that subject on your engine and car. Spot on.

Now comes the trouble on someone else’s car, drivetrain and engine.

It’s a deep and wide subject equal to the Pacific Ocean.
And probably some more.

Looking at cam specs only serves to make my head spin..... All they do is confuse the hell out of me. I put what was supposed to be an erson "340 spec" cam in a 318 in a Cordoba back in the 80s, and it made a lotta noise but was the biggest disappointment/ dawg I ever had. Since, usually once I can read the cam chart on account of my head stops spinning I pick 1 or 2 smaller than what I was originally thinking.
I have had good luck with driver 318s with a noticeable improvement just by putting a stock 360-2 bbl cam in said 318. I've never been down a dragstrip, my vehicles are all dailys, that have to get us where we need to go. I see/hear of people putting all kinds of radical sounding (to me anyway) cams in their cats and claim how great they are...... Good for them. Including lots of suggestions for the "340 cam". Being that was back in the 80s I don't remember exactly the numbers of that cam I was so disappointed in, but it was supposed to be "close to"a stock 340 according to the idiot I bought from back in the "super shops" days

Shooooooooot, I always go one or two bigger lol.

Your nabor Ken at Oregon cam...
PXL_20210917_184706965.jpg

PXL_20210917_184611543.jpg

lol.

Just get on here and ask “what’s the best cam for my build…” take the advice on cam given by whom you trust most… then be happy with your choice…

Or call a cam shop and ask what cam they advise for your build… take recommendation of cam shop… then be happy.

Or last option is you can find some engine builds on here, see posted HP numbers/track numbers with said build. If that’s the range you’re going for then copy their build.
You ask that open enfed of a question and 20 posters will respond with 22 recommendations.
You need to get specific with the car, engine, gearing, converter if applicable, head flows and a bunch of other stuff like intended use. If you call a grinder tech or sales line, be prepared for a long list of questions. If you get a quick couple of questions and a recommendation, move on. Call a few grinders for recommendation. When you get a close few responses you are getting close. Pick the grinder you and friends find most trustworthy. Especially for street, do not over cam.
Watch David Vizard cam selection Yoitube videos. Cartech Books published a Billy Godbold book, High Performance Camshafts and Valvetrains. Available through Amazon. Billy goes about cam selection from the opposite direction as DV. IMHO DV breaks it down to simpler terms that a person with less intimate knowledge of camshaft function can understand. Billy's book gets quite technical, so a good knowledge is required to fully comprehend what he is stating.

I had delta cams grind a hydraulic for my 318 4 bbl. Is 208/214 on 111 and it starts and runs very well with an 800cfm Rochester and early 318 heads. Years ago I too bough an Erson tq 30 by recommendation for my 340 4 speed and it was a turd. swapped to an Isky 280 mega and saw the light!

Yep,
& he struck a long time ago, before many others. I remember Harold Brookshire spruiking his
asymmetrical Ultradyne lobes in the 1980s. Isky had them in his 1974 catalog...

Yep,
& he struck a long time ago, before many others. I remember Harold Brookshire spruiking his
asymmetrical Ultradyne lobes in the 1980s. Isky had them in his 1974 catalog...
anyone ever run a 108lsa with dual oem dual exhaust? I have a solid on 108 that's very close to the 280 mega begging to be used...

Some mfgs will have guides as to what cam you need based on compression, intended use, gearing, etc. Some of them are pretty simple...some not (you can make it as complex as you want). I would look at some of these and see what specs they are offering based on the requirements. It might be good to look at the engine's original cam spec as a starting point. Of course you can sift through YT videos and try to find the good ones.

Here is an example:
https://www.hughesengines.com/TechArticles/2choosingacam.php
See Rusty Rat Rods post in the sticky section about hot rod bliss

-
Back