cams

-

RyanUpdike70

Reaction score
I am running a 509 mp cam i going to change it for comp cams 305 duration 525 lift was told it was a way better cam. Is there any one running this cam

Better in what way for what purpose?

It has a bit more duration and a slight bit more lift. This raises the RPM band. You should be able to run 12's without a problem with the Purple cam.

i was told by a someone it would be a night and day diffecrense Mine car runs 7.70s with a 1.6 60ft car was way to rich and should run 7.50s

Well, lets re-start the thread by fining out what your engine build up is, what trans, rear and gear you have and any suspension Mods. Tire size etc...

Lay it all out. Then, tell us the target goal and what you run now.

Whoever said there would be a night and day difference either;

Knows what you got and what your looking for

OR

Has absolutely no clue about anything in life and should either be avoided or shot on sight as to hopefully prevent this idiot from breeding and spreading stupidness through out the land with his diminished brain power and further dilution the human gene pool.

OH, also knowing your head flow is real helpful.

ok 440 is 10;5;1 compression bored 30 stock 452 heads m1 intake 850 quickfuel 509 cam

trans 727 rev valve body 456 rear gears ladder bars adjustable coilovers

car ran 7.70s carb was way to rich 1.6 60ft

i want to run 7.20s or faster

If it were me, I would use the Comp Magnum 292. It's a milder version and will move the torque down, and give it a flatter torque curve overall than the MP. With the suspension and gearing that thing should launch like it's shot from a cannon.

Then I don't understand. What exactly are you looking for? It sounds like it runs well. Also, keep in mind the MP cam line was designed around unported heads. I don't think you're gonna find a "way better" cam. Not like you've been led to believe.

I've got a 440+30,915 heads,9.3:1 compression.
I use same tranny and rear tyre as you but a 3.73 rear gear.
My times are the same as yours but I only have a 484 mp hydraulic.
Personally,I reckon the bigger cam will make you go slower.

If you want quicker I think you'll be wanting bigger flowing heads first off.

Yup the 509 cam was designed for your exact combo, long on duration, not so much lift. If you want to go "night and day differance", a cam swap is NOT in the picture. Poop the heads off, shave them for more compression, and do some porting if you are not "rules restriceted". The 509 cam LOVES compression.

Sorry I didn't get back to ya. (Ate dinner and crashed, I work nights and had to get some sleep in.)

Good advice from above.

Dial in the carb first. Jetting is everything. The carb must be well tuned in. You'll drop a good bit of time towards the goal. When all said and done, the gap will be a lot smaller to cover.

Porting the heads is expensive and probably not exactly something your ready to do right this instant. If it is, what are your current valve sizes? I myself would only port the bowls. Any head work done?

To carry the wheels the way you do is preettty darn good. You may find some more wiggle room once the carb is dialed in well.

All steel?
Fiberglass anywhere?
Must use pump gas?
What as the trap RPM?
1/8th mile correct?

car has fiberglass hood and bumpers i ran race gas in it when it ran 7.70s i ususall run pump in it and did learn the race gas richen it up. So i am sure with just putting pump gas it will go faster. I pull the plugs they was very black

You may need a different power valve in the carburetor.

I think it should meet or exceed your goal....I don't know what your driving capabilities are, but I think the car has it in it.

i use to drive mine dads 73 duster 418 stroker and i ran a best 7.00 im it The car feels almost as strong as it did. When i put the race fuel in it it seems to kill it. I run pump gas in it all the time. What is the best carb tuning book out there to read dont no much about them wanting to learn

-
Back