camshaft choose mopar 408

-

mopar_persson

Body Bag
Reaction score
hello I'm looking to replace the camshaft in my 408 and and do some work on the cylinder heads.

This is in the engine

probe 408 Flat Top -5.5cc - SRS Piston 10.5:1
scat 4" cast, crankshaft
scat I connecting rods
mopar purple cam P4120231 right now
COMP Cams Pro Magnum rockers
edelbrock rpm airgap intake
holley 750 db
converter stall 2500-2800 rpm

the cylinder heads that I shall use is 4027596 G heads.
they will be ported and I will put in the 2.02 valves in them
how much cfm will I need to have in these heads ? so they will go well on my 408.

how about this cam?
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/cca-sk20-225-4

help me guys :)

I'll chime in with a few thoughts.......You've got a torque master as it sits. If that's your true stall speed, then it has to be a very mild converter imo. If your happy with the drivability as it is, i'm not sure if the cam swap you listed, even though a modern grind, would give a big boost in performance. I'm not sure of your shift point right now, but if your looking for a little more high rpm performance, you may just keep that cam and add 1.6 ratio rockers along with a port job that will flow in the 250cfm range on the intake side. That should extend your power range 500/750 rpm's and allow you to keep the same drivability you have now with the existing converter.

P.S. "Abodybomber" , below, is absolutely correct. The 408 can take alot of cam & head if you choose to really up the power. Consider my disscusion on the mild side of upgrades.

Depending on gearing,that cam might work.Had a [email protected] 109 lobe center solid in a similar 408.Very streetable,and torquey. (3.55's out back) More gear,more RPM,more cam and cyl head needed.If you do the 2.02 valves/porting,that cam would be fun with 3.23,3.55,or 3.73's As for that 284XE Comp,nice grind. Runs like stink with a really well done set of heads,will take some tuning to work with that converter.

Depending on gearing,that cam might work.Had a [email protected] 109 lobe center solid in a similar 408.Very streetable,and torquey. (3.55's out back) More gear,more RPM,more cam and cyl head needed.If you do the 2.02 valves/porting,that cam would be fun with 3.23,3.55,or 3.73's As for that 284XE Comp,nice grind. Runs like stink with a really well done set of heads,will take some tuning to work with that converter.

i have 3.55 in the axle, should i keep the camshaft I have in the engine?
I'm not quite sure what stall the converten have,

Gears and converter won't matter much with a 4" arm...

The good 2.02 RHS's with a better camshaft and it's an easy 500hp mill.

that c c228-4 is really the 1 you want with the rhs heads you wouldnt have to go to 2.02 right away but if you do your gonnna have some gr8 ponies in there

if you wanna lil monster go with a 308 and the rhs with 2.02s but gonna neeed some big stall your gonnna have a tourqe monster with the right gears 391s should pull the wheeels

Cam is gone. I sold it this afternoon about 2 minutes after listing it.

The 20-225-4 was recommend to me by Comp for my 408 along with the 20-228-4 mention earlier. I choose the 228-4. The 225-4 was going to offer better vacumn for power brakes than the 228-4 but I was looking for the better performance. I'll just look to running a vacumn canister if needed.

I'll just sent back my converter to dynamic to have it re-stalled for my 408 and they recommend me around a 3500 stall with basically the same setup as you with eddy heads, 228-4 cam, 3:73 gears.

I also check with Lenny at ultimate converter and he said a 3500-3800 stall would be it. But he was just to pricey for me. Plus it was only going to cost me half the price of a new converter to have my current converter overhauled for the new motor.

-
Back