Camshaft identification help

-

wafastr

Reaction score
I pulled the cam out of a 360 I bought from a friend. He thought it was one of the purple shaft grinds but couldn't remember which one. It has some yellow paint on it at the front end and then some purple paint behind that but only for the first four lobes. The number 987550 is stamped on the back end flat surface and has 3 different colored paint dabs next to the number. I have tried searching different cam companies with no luck. It was installed about 1999 so that is why he can't remember, but has only a few thousand miles and the cam and lifters are in excellent shape, so I would like to reuse it after the freshening up of the engine. Thanks for any help trying to figure it out.

Hell man, I'm in a personal project where we are measuring my stock of camshafts (like 25 or more) and am degreeing them to find out "what they are" and even with the known manufacturer data on some, the numbers that I'm coming up with are hard to correlate back to them... :banghead:

But at least I'm measuring them my way the same way for each, so I can compare them apples to apples that way.... :D

I was able to track down the former owner of the engine, and he said all he can remember is that the cam has .455" lift and is a "purple shaft" cam. Thanks for the help FABO. I will probably go a bit larger since I have Edelbrock heads, Performer RPM manifold, headers, MSD, 9.5 to 1 compression, automatic and 3.55 gearing, a combo that the former owner didn't have. Gentlemen, start your opinions!

Most purples are far enough apart in lift to determine what is what. when they do overlap, its then the duration. Many manufacturers got cam contracts with Mopar so you are seeing a vendor code, not a part number.

The only one I know of with 455 lift is P4452761 450/455 lift 268/272 duration. Very close to a stock 340 grind.

The only one I know of with 455 lift is P4452761 450/455 lift 268/272 duration. Very close to a stock 340 grind.

I ran that one for a while in my car, but it didn't pull as well as I expected, I almost preferred the 260/268 .430"/.450" cam that I ran before that.....

What Stall converter? If stock or close to stock converter the voodoo,262 will work well, if you have close to a 2500 stall, then the voodoo 268 works really well. the 262 has a mild idle with a little burble. The 268 has a noticable idle.

-
Back