Camshaft opinions

-

NChap4012

Reaction score
Looking for some camshaft suggestions. I picked up a 383 with 9.2 compression 906 heads. Will be going in a dart with auto and 3.55 possibly 3.91 gears. Currently has 284/484 cam in it. A bit too much for what I'm looking for.Also it needs more stall speed than I want, Previous owner raced it a bit I'll be using as a street engine, Mostly highway use. Any suggestions? Was thinking Comp cams XE 268 or 274 and getting the 268 or 274 convertor in their catalog to go with it. Any one know anything about the other 284/484 cam with the 112 centerline? Thanks. Neil

The 284 w/112 centerline is an attemp to help the streetability of the cam and also help it for use in lower compression engines as the wider centerline helps build pressure.
Depending on gear ratio to be used in your car....
Xe268 and converter with 3.55's
XE274 and converter with 3.91's
The first choice is a good street combo.

If you're runnign headers, the 268 is a great cam..If you are running the manifolds, then I'd go one step smaller in the XE line...XE262H?

Yes the car will have schumaker tri-y headers, also should have mentioned it has a performer RPM intake. I'm leaning toward the XE 268 with the above combo and a 750 cfm carb. Just like to get other opinions. Want to do this right the first time.

-
Back