can 3:23 s Smoke?

-

sublimeswinger

SUBLIME Senior Member
Reaction score
my 8 3/4 has 3:23 gears would they be able to smoke the tires?Or sould i go to 3:55 or?

I have 318 mild mods.

318s usually lack in the torque department. when you say 'smoke the tires' do you mean as a burnout, or a dead WOT launch? Linelock will probably get some smoke out of 3.23s for a burnout, 3.55s would be a improvement. im very happy with my 3.91s and drive it daily and get wheel spin from a 40mph cruise in 1st gear :salute:

mines a mild 318 as well - yes, thats all three gears lol gotta love line locks :headbang:
http://goodysgotacuda.com/RainFun.html

My Barracuda when it had the \6 had no problems spining the tires from a stop with 3.23 gears.

My 360 smolders the tires with 3.23's and sure grip, but I prefer to have traction when trying to either drag race or just stop light Grand Prix, smoking tires do not make for good et's at the track or on the street, but it sure is fun creating a need for new rear tires :headbang:

Please describe the engine mods, tire size and if you have a stall converter.

If you're doubting the ability the smoke your tires, build a "traveling-burnout-box". 1. Put a junkyard windshield wiper reservoir and pump in your trunk. 2. Wire the pump to a button under the dash. 3. Plumb the hoses so they spray onto the tops of your tires. 4. Fill the reservoir with a bleach-water mix. 5. Push your button and stomp on the gas. 6. big clouds of smoke should billow from under the car! :twisted:

440duster said:
If you're doubting the ability the smoke your tires, build a "traveling-burnout-box". 1. Put a junkyard windshield wiper reservoir and pump in your trunk. 2. Wire the pump to a button under the dash. 3. Plumb the hoses so they spray onto the tops of your tires. 4. Fill the reservoir with a bleach-water mix. 5. Push your button and stomp on the gas. 6. big clouds of smoke should billow from under the car! :twisted:
I remember doing this in Highschool It works great LOL

Both of mine have 3.21's. 1, 318 4-speed other, 360 auto.wipe there feet quite nicely,thank you.

I had a "traveling burnout box" in high school too. The car was '81 LeBaron that I crammed a 400 H.O. into. It didn't need the box for burnouts, just added to the smoke. Most any car will smoke the tires with bleach on them.

Greg

this whas done with a 3.21:1 geared 8 1/4" rear behind a hot 340 (almost no torque down low) with something wrong in the brakeproprtioning it holds the rear brakes way to firm

MoreSmokinMike.jpg

-
Back