Can an OD be converted to be a std 4 speed?

-

DusTed74

Reaction score
What would be needed to convert an O.D. 4 speed to be a standard 4 speed?
Is this do-able? If so what can be re-used from the OD?

Thanks in advance...............Ted

hi, just change the gear set. remove all gears off the main shaft, slip others on, change out the cluster gear, reassemble. nothing can be reused from the O.D. trans. this will give you an aluminum case trans.

So the mainshafts are the same? Do you see any benifit to the larger front bearing?
This is an iron cased unit. Does that change anything?

Thanks.................Ted

hi, the front bearings were 308 or 307. both are ok. most O.D . trans I've seen were alum case. iron case will weigh same as a regular 4 speed. the gears will fit any main shaft.the front bearing retainer on the O.D. is way larger O.D. dia. have to change to the regular 4 speed retainer or turn that one down in a lathe. the bolt pattern is the same as the 4 speed larger retainer. make sure the new retainer is for your front bearing O.D.

http://www.passonperformance.com/

Article in a mag; http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles/116_0705_overdrive_transmission/photo_01.html

It goes from a regular to a OD, but info could be good for the reverse.

The Passon OD was designed by Passon to utilize a standard 4-speed mainshaft. All the OD transmissions I have cannabalized have a mainshaft with the 3rd gear landing being smaller than a standard 4-speed mainshaft. I have not been able to use an OD mainshaft for a 4-speed yet. Unfortunately.

The Passon OD was designed by Passon to utilize a standard 4-speed mainshaft. All the OD transmissions I have cannabalized have a mainshaft with the 3rd gear landing being smaller than a standard 4-speed mainshaft. I have not been able to use an OD mainshaft for a 4-speed yet. Unfortunately.
i have spoken with jamie at passon about this and what outsider has said is true,there is a pdf file at passon website that explains it but here is a chunk of it..... Pa s s o n P e r f o r m a n c e . c o m
Shortcomings of the

Original Chrysler Overdrive:
•

Inherently weak due to the undercut mainshaft in the 3rd gear

and 3-4 synchronizer area.
•

Limited to a 23-spline input shaft (weak spot in a high

horsepower applications)
•

Floating countershaft in case

•

Lack of evenly spread gear ratios

•

Lack of a well matched 1st gear ratio

Benefits of the
Passon Performance Overdrive:
•

Uses a stock 1:1 large journal mainshaft for increased strength

•

The strength of an 18-spline input shaft

•

Excellent gear spread limits excessive RPM drop between shifts

•

Can be swapped into your factory 4 speed case with just a

gasket set
•

THE ONLY OVERDRIVE on the market that requires NO

modifications to the vehicle! If your 4 speed fits now (which it
does), this will fit!

So basicly what we're looking at being able to re-use would be the case, tail shaft housing and the input shaft. Correct?

Ted

-
Back