Can anybody ID this Master Cylinder?

-

Hemioutlaw

Make America Great Again!
Reaction score
Back to the experts well Again!

Going to be cleaning up this mess on this too long forgotten car and replacing the MC on my 69' Cuda and hoping that somebody can help me ID this one, possibly from the markings. The car had this raised one on an aluminum plate when I bought it many moons ago and I alway's thought it kinda odd and hardly factory but it did work, i' m not sure that it's a Std 69' Cuda MC and since i'ma have to surely order one I just wanted to hopefully order the correct one.....has a 1" piston.

Thx

20191215_154732.jpg
20191215_154826.jpg
20191215_154931.jpg
20191215_155516.jpg
20191215_144615.jpg
20191215_150643.jpg

Casting number says 1971-74 all Mopars with power disc brakes.

I’m guessing you have single piston calipers on the front? These masters are used a lot on disc conversions although most go with the 7/8” bore master for less pedal effort.

I’m guessing you have single piston calipers on the front? These masters are used a lot on disc conversions although most go with the 7/8” bore master for less pedal effort.

Thank you Sir,
I haven't pulled off the calipers yet to see if it was a single or dual piston and though I wasn't planning anything at the time I took this hazy pic today I can clearly see two rubber boots on the caliper. I'm pretty sure Two boots = Dual Piston correct?

It has been a while since i've driven this car and do seem to recollect it taking quite a bit of leg to work the manual brakes so your comment on the 7/8" bore requiring less pedal effort certainly got my attention. I like the idea of less pedal effort but also wonder if the currently in use Geometry, Piston Rod? etc., would work if I changed over to just the 7/8" bore MC.
Though there's no shortage of parts stores around my area, the days of knowledgeable staff seem to be a thing of the past and all the college kids populating my local stores can do is look it up on the CPU. Hell, I had to go to four different stores last weekend just to get a 180 degree thermostat for the RB, one kid even asked me what's a 440?

Do you know what (Yr, Make, Model, Eng) I would be asking for at the local parts store if I were seeking this 7/8" bore MC?

*****Update, after reading the above Brake Tech article it doesn't appear Ma Mopar produced a 7/8" bore MC, at least not up to 1975 anyway.

69'Cuda Unmothballed Brakes 12.15.19-11.jpg

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure Two boots = Dual Piston correct?
You seeing two two dust boots on one side. That's a four piston, fixed caliper.
kelsey hayes, chrysler version, probably the most common variation. (the early ones have some very minor differences which I don't recall)
do seem to recollect it taking quite a bit of leg to work the manual brakes so your comment on the 7/8" bore requiring less pedal effort certainly got my attention. I like the idea of less pedal effort but also wonder if the currently in use Geometry, Piston Rod? etc., would work if I changed over to just the 7/8" bore MC.
The smallest diameter master cylinder for that system had a 1" bore.
Otherwise they look very similar to the one you have.
All of those master cylinders are somewhat pricey these days. There weren't nearly as many as drum brakes to begin with. Then at some point the big remanufacturers like Cardone decided it was OK to remove the residual valve from the primary outlet of drum brake masters and sell them as replacements for disk brakes.

Though there's no shortage of parts stores around my area, the days of knowledgeable staff seem to be a thing of the past and all the college kids populating my local stores can do is look it up on the CPU. Hell, I had to go to four different stores last weekend just to get a 180 degree thermostat for the RB, one kid even asked me what's a 440?

Do you know what (Yr, Make, Model, Eng) I would be asking for at the local parts store if I were seeking this 7/8" bore MC?
I think you have a few choices, none of which will involve a parts store unless you know one with access to really old stock.

1. Use the 1 1/32 master. Rebuild it yourself if the bore is free of pits and deep scratches. Otherwise send it out.
2. Trade or sell the 1 1/32 master and get a 1" bore cast iron version.
3. If you want shiny, see if there is a 1" or 15/32 version from Stainless Steel Brakes. When I last looked they were selling there own version of the K-H 4 piston system.
4. If you want light weight, see if Cass (Dr Diff) has an aluminum and plastic master with 1 or 15/32 bore in stock.

Observations on Decision points.
On the fire wall, the photos show a power brake bracket and linkage from a kelsey-hays 4-piston system.
I had one, I think it originally was from a 70 or 71. IIRC the linkage slightly changed the pedal leverage. This dropped the position of the brake pedal to be closer to the accelerator pedal - a plus. But it also meant a shorter stroke, and if there is no booster, more pedal force would be needed.
What you have looks like a clever set up to provide clearance for those headers.
If you're keeping those headers, then your choices will be a different than if you're changing them.

One other thing you can change to reduce pedal effort is the brake linings. Work with someone knowledgable to select a lining that is a little grabbier under the conditions you'll be using the car. Make sure to do the rear brakes too. Having appropriate linings and having them adjusted make a big difference on the initial braking.

Some references about the 4 piston K-H calipers and hydraulics:
1967 Disk brake service guide
1972 Chrysler Disc Brake Service p 1, Master Technician's Service Conference (Session 293)
1970 Imperial & Chrysler Brake Hydraulics Facts Reference Book (Session 274)

Looks like SSBC is no longer available. I vaguely remember it being mentioned they went belly up. edit: yes, defunct.
It looks like Right Stuff brand is selling cast iron masters with 4 bolt flanges, but maybe only in 15/16 and 1 1/16 bores.
Anyway there's a few options to look at once narrow down what makes sense in relation to the project as a whole.

God Bless ya Mattax,
Such a well articulated and thorough answer.

Though I had not yet searched for a rebuild kit for my existing MC, I did a search on RockAuto for the MC36406 mentioned in another older Abody thread I've since lost but came up with this but the specs didn't elude to the piston bore size. Then in a roundabout way I found this invaluable interchange tool on the Raybestos site:

Raybestos: Interchange

On the interchange I was able to search for my existing OEM MC #3461187 and sure enough their replacement MC's listed 1.031" bore

Shown below in the last image The MC36406 listed a .938" bore and oddly enough they both reference 73-75 Abodies in the fitment guide, if I can get a better pedal feel and obviously still get the car stopped this would be a win for me.

*Update...$52.79 for the Raybestos on Rock Auto, on a whim I called my local Autozone and inquired about it...they have a Brakesbest unit with the .938 bore for $39.99 comes outta Oklahoma City and should be here local in TX tomorrow.

Since i'm going thru the calipers and rear wheel cylinders guess I should have figured out all that stuff too so I can have new boot's and seals, (possibly pistons, pads, shoes) ....uggg it's a labor of love.

69' Cuda replacement MC-1.PNG

69'Cuda replacement MC-2.PNG

69' Cuda replacement MC-3.PNG

Last edited:
I found where one member on site was able to use a '95-'99 Plymouth breeze/Dodge Cirrus manual brake master cylinder in an a body, it has a 7/8 bore. But I really like the power brake booster mount combined with the flexible hoses.

-
Back