Can anyone tell me if it's true or not about this conversion!

-

wanta68cuda

Reaction score
Ok I'm looking to convert the brakes on 65' valiant from drum to the big bolt pattern disk brakes. Now I know that you can use the 74-and up sets off of darts and dusters. But I seen an ad for a set up using parts from the volare's and it states that they work on A-body's. Can anyone tell me how much truth there is to this. Because I've never seen any articles on this or heard of anyone else using them. If it's true I'm like alot of you guy's out there I'm building on a tight budget!!! And those parts can be had fast and cheap!!! So if anyone can help me find out the truth I and I'm sure others that read this would be thankful!!! Thanks for your help in advance!!!

Yes its true but you will still need 73-76 A body upper control arms and lower ball joints.

Now they use the same diameter ball joint but they are 3/8" taller then A body spindles.

Ok I have a question I did the 73+ brake swap onto my 65, the guy that I was working and learning from was an abody guy as were a lot of his friends.

Now when we did the swap I just replaced my lower control arm due to the smaller ball joint. So I should have replaced my upper control arms as well????

LOL You either got you memory crossed up or the car was upside down. The upper joints that screw in thoses arms are different.

yea your not remembering right.. the lower arm stays the same and its the upper that gets changed.

that could be it, we did the convertion a few years ago, and i know that we changed the lowers so that i could run a sway bar. maybe thats what i remember thanks for the help guys

sorry for the small hijack

I read in Mopar Muscle that you can get a set of rotors that will fit the stock spindles, thus eliminating the whole A-arm swap. Works for the early A body especially well. Besides you can keep those cool SBP Ralleys. :cheers:

all a body lca's are the same 62-76.

don't know about the rotors........when was that written?

Wilwood 140-2723-b is the conversion for my '65 Barracuda from Summit for $672.95. You can go with either 4 or 4.5 BPW. Pretty cool.

Yes the lower control arms are the same but the lower ball joints are different.

You can also use the disc brakes a fifth avenue and New yorker but you would have to chande the upper control arm and lower ball joint (80? year model i think would work)

If I'm not mistaken you have to have the 10" drums and not the small 9" to be able to use that wilwood kit! I had'nt heard about that fifth ave. setup that sounds good to! Thanks Guys for all your input I know this info will help alot of others out there.

Are the spindals for the 10" drums different from the 9" drums I thought they were the same?
They are different. The 9 inch spindle is smaller. In the pic the 9" spindle is on the left.

spilndlecompS.jpg

go to www.magnumforceracing.com and look. they have wilwood kits for 9" and 10" drum spindles. i talked to them and they said that the hub register may interfere with some wheels. cragar wheels fit since that's what they used.

-
Back