Can I delete this canister ? -73 Duster

-

Mopar92

Reaction score
I think this thing can cause partial throttle stumble and surging. Can I remove it? Or plug the lines?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 649
That can will not cause the problem you describe. Unless you "are bound" to, leave it there. It is the gas vent/ evap emission controls. You can read it in the 73 service manual, which the hard working guys, some of us here at FABO, ended up you can download 'fer free' over at My Mopar

Read the section on fuel (tanks) as well as the emissions section in the back There is a 1/4" line coming to "up front" from the tank. That IS your tank vent and must NOT be plugged, unless you make "other means" for a vent

http://www.mymopar.com/index.php?pid=31

Also browse the MTSC section, there's some good stuff in there

http://www.mymopar.com/index.php?pid=117

the 73 "Cleaner Air System Highlights"

http://www.mymopar.com/index.php?pid=430

Eliminating the charcoal canister will actually make fuel mileage suffer. Pretty badly. That's the whole point of it. To vent vapors that would otherwise be emitted into the atmosphere back to the tank where they condense back into fuel. They are very beneficial as long as they are working correctly even on mild to moderate street cars.

.....but yes, you can throw it in the ditch if you so desire.

Bend a 180 on it and put a filter on it. Get rid of the can and plug the other lines or remove as needed if that is your goal.

removing that will make your garage, or anything around your car, reek of gasoline and your fuel will evaporate faster.

But hey, people have been removing good ideas from their cars for decades. Why stop now? ;)

The only way the charcoal can will affect your engine is if it's disintegrating and sending bits of coal into your carb. Are you finding bits of black stuff in your carb bowls? If no, then leave it be.

No, it does not cause stumble or surge. You can eliminate it, but you're much better off keeping it (and making sure it and its associated hoses and parts are working correctly). See here.

I think this thing can cause partial throttle stumble and surging. Can I remove it? Or plug the lines?

IF you do not want it, I'll purchase it from you. PM me.

I will keep it on there. For some reason I thought I read on a slant six board that it wreaks havoc on partial throttle and around town crisp driving. Thanks Dan for the reply.

You're welcome. Sounds like you're thinking of the OSAC valve, which is located on the passenger side of the firewall, near the heater blower motor. It's got one vacuum line to the carb, and one to the distributor. Best run a vacuum hose directly from the carb to the distributor, bypassing the OSAC valve completely—that will sharpen up your off-idle acceleration and driveability quite a lot.

Your charcoal canister is hooked up to your tank breather line (1/4"). If you have the proper gas cap (non-vented), your tank will breath through the canister. If you eliminate and plug it, you will collapse your tank as you feed your carburetor, unless you get a vented fuel tank cap. Keeping the canister will do no harm and should not cause any problems with engine "tune". If so, re-route to manifold vacuum.

Remove it . plug the line at the tank and remove the line. Install a vent at the top of your fill tube as the 1970 cars were vented. Easy fix

-
Back