Can I refinish my twin snorkel scoop?

-

Radarsonwheels

Reaction score
I have a 72 demon with the original scoop on the hood. It's not bad, but could look better. Can it be sanded? Buffed? Am I stuck painting it once I do anything to it?
51e1dc62.jpg

i think you will be the happiest once it is done, if you prep and repaint it !

No. You cannot. It was originally done in top secret by extra terrestrials and the methods by which it was done are unknown. So, you're just gonna have to settle for it lookin like that.

Not sure what I'm seeing in the photo........ Chips? Scratches? Scuffs?

If it's scratched up and just looks a bit crappy, you can refresh the look fairly easily with a "back yard" job instead of having to hire it out or do it with spray equipment..........

Do you have equipment, or are you "on your own" so to speak with the project?

If no equipment, and you want a quick and easy fix, you can just wet sand it down with 400 grit black paper (available at NAPA and other parts stores) until you get it nice and smooth. Follow up with a spray can of high solids primer after you've cleaned the surface spotless. Let it dry and lightly wet sand with a 600 grit black paper, or if you can't find it, do it lightly again with your 400.

A decent quality paint to use on this surface (again, for a nice but quick job that will look nice) is (I know some guys are gonna cringe) Krylon Fusion Satin Black spray........If you know how to use a spray can well, you can do a nice job, and the finish looks like you used a black basecoat with a flattening agent in the clearcoat....Not bad at all.....and it dries fast. After it's cured (at least 48 hours), you can protect it with a silicone polish like "Ice".

If you want something that will last longer in the elements, you need to jump up to a "Hot Rod" black production spray.......I believe some places offer this in a spray can, BUT not too certain.......

Some of the other guys may know where you can grab some if you don't have spray equipment.

OR, you can just sell the scoop to me.

Thanks Fellas

I was under the impression that it was a bare plastic, not painted from the factory. That's the surface I was looking to replicate. It would be easy to just wet sand it but I don't know if it would look like crap or if it would get a uniform surface again. I could also just use a high build primer and paint it gloss or satin or whatever. I'm not a resto freak I just like the original look to a certain extent. Having said that I don't actually know if they were originally painted or not!

Thanks again, any more info is definitely welcome!

radar

No. You cannot. It was originally done in top secret by extra terrestrials and the methods by which it was done are unknown. So, you're just gonna have to settle for it lookin like that.

Drag. Mine is a bit dinged and scratched too. Guess I'll just get used to it.. :wack:

LOL!

Dick.... hahahahahaha :sign3:

Yeah, those crazy extra terrestrials with their fiberglass and their injection molded plastic. I heard after they made the pyramids they gave us the dies to stamp out all the body styles for the big 3 which we didn't fully understand until recent history...

It did come in a natural smooth plastic right? Not painted? I wonder if it can be buffed out with compound?

I always thought they were painted from the factory but apparently they were left bare.

They were painted. At least every one I had was . I have an original here from a Demon that had the hood treatment and that has paint on it. I painted the one on my Duster and the hood with Martin Senour blackout. Matches the stripes perfect.

Attachments

• dus2.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 115
Well you can sand it with 180 grit paper, fill any scratches or dings with glazing putty and spray it with some high build. Wet sand it with 400 followed by 600 until all of the imperfections are gone. Spray it with sealer and spray color.

The picture above was worst then yours I scuffed mine . put some 2k high build primer on it sanded it with 320 to get the chips and scuffs out and sprayed it.. Did the spoiler the same way

-
Back