Can I start my car with no drive shaft in?

-

olddog12

Reaction score
I have a 318/727 and I really want to hook the battery up and start it up but I do not have a drive shaft or yoke to put in the trans. The motor is not rebuilt or new so requires no break in.

So can I put the car in Park and hit the key?

Thank you mguer. Yep I was planning on putting fluid in it.
Should I cover the end of the trans to keep the fluid in somewhat or will it be fine with nothing?

Actually you should put it in neutral if you don't have the late style spool valve conversion. If you have a loose yoke that would be ok or just tape a bag around it. you don't want to fill it up enough to have fluid coming out the tailshaft housing.

I am not sure if it has the conversion you speak of so I will just put it in neutral and take your advise and tape a bag over the end.
Much appreciated sir.

Rather than a yoke, use a transmission plug; you can get kits at NAPA etc auto part stores.....frictional drag can still make the out put shaft spin, you don't want a yoke possibly dancing across the floor unexpectedly into your shin!

Also just shut the engine off before you try to shift into Park........again that frictional drag thing.....stepping on the brake will do nothing

-
Back