Can I wire a two field Alternator to work as a single field unit.

-

AlV

Crabs in a barrel
Reaction score
Could I simply just run a wire from the -field terminal to chassis ground then connect the +field to the mechanical regulator and Batt as normal for a pre 70 configuration?
or isn't it that simple?
thanks

AlV

Half the time you order a pre70 you end up getting a square back with one field grounded from most the suppliers anyhow.

I chose to rebuild my round back myself. I had no need for any more load than it was delivered with in 69 and wanting the correct unit.

Half the time you order a pre70 you end up getting a square back with one field grounded from most the suppliers anyhow.

I chose to rebuild my round back myself. I had no need for any more load than it was delivered with in 69 and wanting the correct unit.
yeah mine died and dealing with some of the young guns behind the counter is an exercise in futility. lol I say no this isn't correct and they tell me the computer says its the right one. I just want to get something back in the car so I can drive without killing the battery. so I take it as long as I ground the -field I'm good to go, is that correct?

One of the fields was not already grounded to case out of the box?

yes.

Maybe this will make it easier to understand why.
Field means the coiled wire that makes an electromagnetic field when electricity flows through.
The regulator on your car controls the electricity going into the that wire. In other words, it controls the hot side.
The other side of the coiled wire is attached to the system ground completing the circuit.

Two field terminals on the later alternators allow the later regulators to control the ground. In other words they open and close the switch to ground allowing or stopping the flow of electricity that creates the spinning magnetic field.

Some people call the two field terminal versions, isolated field terminals. This means both are insulated from ground. This is a better way to understand it.

Last edited:
Thanks for your feedback everyone.. Wish there was a better way to search but I found this gem from @67Dart273 from 2015 which nails it.
upload_2018-3-27_22-41-28.png

Thanks for your feedback everyone.. Wish there was a better way to search but I found this gem from @67Dart273 from 2015 which nails it.
View attachment 1715158267

That’s what we were telling you, sometimes there are clearance issues with the square back though. Most box stores sell them as early replacements but already have the second field terminal grounded to the case for the early replacement version.

Just for the sake of saying... There are no "2 fields". 2 field terminals and wires is isolated field. Both positive and ground sides of the field were routed through the regulator making the charging system more stable.

-
Back