can larger rear brakes be run safely

-

buckshotbishop

Old Soul
Reaction score
i ran into a snag today. 9 in brakes wont fit a 8 3/4. i have 10in backing plates that came with my housing. can i use them with 9 in front brakes if i use a proportioning valve?

When I was building Chevys before I switched to Mopar you didn't even have to mess with the proportioning valves as long as did all the hardware and wheel cylinders to match whatever size brakes you were going to run. Only time I had to change valves was when converted drums to disc. Should be the same from Chevy to Mopar as far as I can tell

you can do it BUT is not the greatest of situations. If you do this, try to find some smaller diameter wheel cylinders for the back (I think from a early 70s dodge pickup). Anyway try to find a rear wheel cylinder that is smaller than 1 inch.

Ny 64 Signet uses 74 Duster front discs and a stock 8.75 rear drums without a proportioning valve, no problems

I would just install an aftermarket, adjustable prop valve. Much cheaper than gambling on new cylinders which might be too much/ too little. Then if you later convert to front disc....................

Napa 1971 dodge d100 pick up is what your looking for. That's 2 1/2 x 10

Attachments

• image.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 167
Napa 1971 dodge d100 pick up is what your looking for. That's 2 1/2 x 10

A-body 8-3/4 rear drums are 1-3/4 x 10", not 2-1/2 x 10. So the truck ones would not be a replacement.

I ran your setup on a 67 barracuda for 3 years wet weather rear may lock up first but no problem on dry roads. Panic stops are what you have to be careful of.

well 10 x 1.75 5 on 4 drums are not made any more and the only set ive found was on ebay for 180 soooo im going to bbp and using my 11 inch brakes and a proportioning valve

2.5 x 10 is what was on the parts car I bought for the rearend. So I just replaced what was on there. So maybe I'll throw a proportioning valve in there.

-
Back