Can someone confirm this timing mark?

-

Boduke

Reaction score
Stock balancer. Just want to confirm that it hasn't spun. Timing mark is a smidge left of 12’ o clock using the keyway as the 12’0 clock position. Looking from front of motor.
Thanks

C90DCEE4-43F5-4A25-B6D1-8DCA49174779.jpeg

27E9DD94-3376-417E-862C-190F5279BD73.jpeg

You probably already know this, but that's a '70 and later balancer- don't try to use it with the '69 and earlier timing covers. The timing mark will appear to be almost 90* off.

You cannot verify a balancer mark by looking at it. Use a piston stop, which you can buy, or make. I still have mine which I made in the SEVENTIES
+++++++++++++++++++++++++

Disconnect battery for safety. Insert the device in no1 making sure the piston is down. The length of the plunger is unimportant, but you want the piston to stop "down a ways." If you buy one rather than building one, make sure you get a lock nut on there to stop the stem from wobbling around

CAREFULLY wrench the engine around until the piston stops on the device. make a temp mark under TDC on your pointer tab, onto the balancer

Rotate the engine opposite direction do same thing. This will result in two temporary marks, and halfway between is TDC

If the original mark is correct, that is where it will be. This is one I built for SB Mopars in the '70s. Had it all these years

stop2-jpg.jpg

I've only seen 4 or 5 of these type here, commercially made, and in fact have one came in a Summit degree wheel kit. The plunger "wobbles" unless you screw it all the way in and tighten it down. So if you want it shorter you need to come up with a lock/ jam nut to make it rigid

249-4795.jpg

Yup all genius! I can do it the hard way. Shoes not for sale at this time. Xo. Just to start argument tho. If i hold it up to an aftermarket dorman stock replacement balancer. Will my timing mark be in the ball park? Or is it supposed to be at 12 0’clock in line with the keyway? #shoeenvy

Ok . Yup. I checked it. #1 TDC compression stroke. Give or take a smidge for dwell. Its spot on!
:thankyou:. Sorry for tying get iff easy. I appreciate the gut check. Give a man a fish feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish feed him for a lifetime.

As said, the timing marks can be in different locations depending on the year of your balancer/engine. What do you have?

73 318. Im guessing at least 180 to the wheels. Yes! I know it should be blue. But hemi orange is so much sexier.

Last edited:
You cannot verify a balancer mark by looking at it. Use a piston stop, which you can buy, or make. I still have mine which I made in the SEVENTIES
+++++++++++++++++++++++++

Disconnect battery for safety. Insert the device in no1 making sure the piston is down. The length of the plunger is unimportant, but you want the piston to stop "down a ways." If you buy one rather than building one, make sure you get a lock nut on there to stop the stem from wobbling around

CAREFULLY wrench the engine around until the piston stops on the device. make a temp mark under TDC on your pointer tab, onto the balancer

Rotate the engine opposite direction do same thing. This will result in two temporary marks, and halfway between is TDC

If the original mark is correct, that is where it will be. This is one I built for SB Mopars in the '70s. Had it all these years

View attachment 1716094092

I've only seen 4 or 5 of these type here, commercially made, and in fact have one came in a Summit degree wheel kit. The plunger "wobbles" unless you screw it all the way in and tighten it down. So if you want it shorter you need to come up with a lock/ jam nut to make it rigid

View attachment 1716094093
To fix that wobble on the adjustment, try wrapping the threaded shaft in teflon tape to take up the gap/tolerance in the thread. That should keep it on axis when it's turned in, and may be tight enough that it will hold adjustment when removed from the head but I'd still put a jam nut on the top if the thread is long enough.

-
Back