Can someone decode fender tag pls, 68Dart

-

chargerz

Reaction score
I just bought this nd need help decoding da fender tag, .. it's a 68 Dart has a 340, 727 8 3/4 posi, not an A body freak, so thinkin on a sale or possibly trade for 68/69 Charger or 70 Super Bee ... As u can see I've haven't even clean it up ..

KIMG0018.JPG

KIMG0016.JPG

KIMG0021.JPG

look's like a 67, no marker light in the quarter. they never made a 340 in 67.
Where's the fender tag?

dodge dart, low price class, 2 door coupe, 170 6 cyl, 3speed column shift, 3.23 axle, black interior split bench, red exterior, special order, Oct 25th

Weird. No markers. Look in the trunk see if they've been filled

68 Grill and tail lights, neither of which are a "toss in and bolt in" for a 67

Where is the VIN? On the doorpost or the dash frame?

It's a '67 Dart (no side markers on '67) with a '68 front clip (note the round side markers on the front fenders) and '68 tail lenses.

It was originally a 170 /6. It appears to be a Mopar mutt that was cobbled together with a '68 donor car for the body and a V8 dropped in for apparent track use (note heater core deleted along with interior fan and wiper motor) .

You can't just bolt in 68 tail lights in a 67 body, I'll bet the quarters have been changed for the cheap repops. If there was a picture of the upper part of the firewall I could tell you if it is a 67 or 68 as they changed the drains in 68.

You can't just bolt in 68 tail lights in a 67 body, I'll bet the quarters have been changed for the cheap repops. If there was a picture of the upper part of the firewall I could tell you if it is a 67 or 68 as they changed the drains in 68.

If there is no evidence of a door post VIN being removed, it likely IS a 68, as the VIN is on the dash. Looking up under the dash for matching OEM paint overspray might confirm that.

With the VIN, the body stampings the fender tag and a build sheet, one could run it down for sure. I would guess the rear quarters are reworked

I'm sure I've read that the headlight buckets are too "narrow" in 67 to fit a 68 grille

No apparent tampering with door post .. so can we safely say it's a 68 ..

KIMG0027.JPG

Did you look in the trunk for side marker lights that were filled in?

Ok, so it's a '68 post car that originally had a 170 /6 with a 3 speed column shift and split bench seat that now has a V8, no wipers, no fan motor or heater core and has replacement quarters without side marker lights and an aftermarket hood with an incorrect scoop for that year. It was originally red, then was painted another color (green?) before becoming blue.

It's still a Mopar mutt. Now what?

What now, is that I wanted to know what my Mopar Mutt came originally with, doesn't everyone who gets a Mopar wants to know that, ... Nd Now that u remind me that it doesn't have a wiper motor, no fan motor, nd it's ur run of da mill car what I'm I gonna do with it, when all I needed was decode a fender tag ..

dodge dart, low price class, 2 door coupe, 170 6 cyl, 3speed column shift, 3.23 axle, black interior split bench, red exterior, special order, Oct 25th

Your decode is right here in post #6....Look up ^^^

What now, is that I wanted to know what my Mopar Mutt came originally with, doesn't everyone who gets a Mopar wants to know that, ... Nd Now that u remind me that it doesn't have a wiper motor, no fan motor, nd it's ur run of da mill car what I'm I gonna do with it, when all I needed was decode a fender tag ..

Yea, seen that already, .. now I know what it came with, ... Not sure what I'm gonna do with it at da moment .. but still available to trade or cash offers, ...

what did you say ?

That I'm just gonna drive da crap out of that car ... Put a 4spd nd melt them tires ..

-
Back