Can someone please

-

TwistedPenta

Reaction score
Can someone that is a front end guru please call me. I have some kind of major front end problem and cannot figure it out. And I do not know how to explain it by typing. I am ready to pull my hair out and I have very lil to begin with.

Okay I'm gonna give this a shot. I have read through all I can on aligning a front end. It all makes sense. I get everything right, make a trip around a lil asphalt test area at an old school next door. Half way through the road test, I drive straight and stop, get out check the front end. Things feel great on the road. Things look great front out in front of the car. Drive down the hill to leave the school, make a curve and can't hold it in the road at 10mph. Have major positive camber (top of tire leaned way out). And toed in. I cannot find a bad tie rod, ball joint and i replaced the only bad lower control arm bushing. The a arm bushings seen to be in good shape also. I have checked the tabs the the cams push on. They seem fine.
I have adjusted everything multiple times and always the same thing.

Edit: leaving the school, I make the curve and then go straight and can't hold it in the road going straight.

lower controll arm bushings, or cracked K member sleaves.....

Cracked lower control arm mounting points on the K-frame?

Some pictures would help us help you.

Here are a couple of good pieces of information for alignments.

Attachments

• Moog7103InstallInstructions.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 259
  • alignment-specifications.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 260
Replicar, I put new lower control arm bushings in. I'm not sure what the k-member sleeves are. I have another K-member for a V8 laying out for viewing purposes. It's a /6 k member and engine in the car.

Replicar, I put new lower control arm bushings in. I'm not sure what the k-member sleeves are. I have another K-member for a V8 laying out for viewing purposes. It's a /6 k member and engine in the car.

This post may or may not apply, but check this area on both sides.....

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showpost.php?p=1969898561&postcount=16

^^^^^ Sleeves..... Cracked lower control arm mounting points on the K-frame?

Nothing has been moved between pics.

Attachments

• image-4145214295.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 262
  • image-3026354825.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 264
  • image-2981593548.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 269
Wow, thats crazy looking, something is major moving around, should be very obvious!!!!!

Holy crap, that car is bow legged! I think you said the upper control arms concentric bolts are tight and have not changed. The problem has to be centered around the lower control arms. The pin that comes out of the lower control arm and goes into the k frame has a metal tube type bushing. They take a beating and go bad (oval and cracked), Pull your lower control arm and check the condition of that bushing and pin. Also look at the lower control arm torsion bar receiver area and make sure it isn't spread apart. I think it's a combination of the two causing the problem.

Why is there a jack under the car?

What is the history of this car? Did something suddenly change for the worse? Did you just buy it? Assemble it?

Question "for others" are early A LCA's shorter than 67/ later?

I don't understand how in hell you would ever get the tops of the tires out that far

The problem you describe is common. The LCA passes thru a hole in the K member. That hole is a welded tube that has a small weld bead around it. These small welds often fail if the car is driven long with worn out LCA bushings. The welded "tube" loosens up and starts to shift around. Often the hole gets elongated toward the middle. Sudden hard turns can move the hole further toward the outside.
The LCAs will physically interchange from 63-76. They may even fit the early Valiant and Lancer, but I am not sure. The LCAs changes a little over the years though for sway bar attachment and such.
I have modified many K members that have had this type of damage. I use an original as a template and place the tube back in its original position, then weld a large washer around the hole. This gives the area far more strength than it had originally. Be careful to use a washer that does NOT stick out more than the tube. This will help preserve your caster settings.

Should be obvious. Weld in some sleeves.

I have a mig but I really don't believe I would be able to get it right. I'm leaning more towards swapping in my 74 V8 K-mem. Isn't a 74 K-mem the same for slant and v8? If so, besides brake changes, i'll just have to get some 74 slant 6 mounts. Or is that info completely wrong?

V8 and /6 has different engine mounts on the K.

They make conversion mounts to the V8 from the slant but I have never heard of them for the V8 to a slant.

It seems this problem is becoming more frequent, or I'm just seeing it more often with me old eyes

This helped me 100%. I can't post pics of the tube area because the car is together. I was literally laying in the driveway under the car checking things as I typed. But I put lower control arm bushings in a few days ago. It was my first time. I had no idea what was supposed to be in there. The bushing was completely gone except a inner sleeve of the bushing. The tube is completely gone. The weld is gone. But the bushing fit snug inside the hole.

For those that have done it, do any of you have a thread explaining how to do tubes?

-
Back