Can stock rod and stock crankshaft handle the power?

-
There is a member here with a username Spareparts. He has run nitrous very successfully and I know exactly what his E.T. is, though he has asked me not to share, I can tell you it is very, very impressive with a 318 in a well over 3k lbs duster street car. He races for money, that is why he doesn't share the E.T. I can tell you, he has taken out well set up Fox bodies on boost. No, the 318 wasn't a stroker, Jpar :D
There's that stone in my shoe. Where heve you been? Did I say something out of line or are you just glad to see me !?? :coffee2:

There's that stone in my shoe. Where heve you been? Did I say something out of line or are you just glad to see me !?? :coffee2:

Gotta jab at ya...... lol Just think'n of a few threads we were hav'n fun with until they got shut down! I haven't hardly had the time to give FABO, but I glance now and then. Hope you've been fine, Jpar :)

Gotta jab at ya...... lol Just think'n of a few threads we were hav'n fun with until they got shut down! I haven't hardly had the time to give FABO, but I glance now and then. Hope you've been fine, Jpar :)
After all that staff almost shut me down! lol I ended up getting demerit points! Lol it's nice to see you out here giving me heck. Well let's leave this poor souls threat alone now and see if we can't get him to answer at least my last question? Maybe we can start a thread titled the good ol days ? lol

I would hit it with a 100 shot. I think you will have a handful and will be happy with the results. too many guys claim to be run'n 500, 600 hp or so on the street, I don't buy it.

^^^^^so everyone who says their small block is 500 or 600hp is lying? There's lots of BS-ers for sure but that's quite the blanket statement, especially since it's wrong. 605 dynoed HP right here, 2500miles of street and hiway, plus .5 miles of track time :)

To the OP, I agree with others that you aren't going to be near 500Hp yet, with that being said I'd say it still wouldn't be wise to spray more then 100 if you want any sort of life out of your build. If you originally planned to spray, why not put the extra bux into forged parts?

^^^^^so everyone who says their small block is 500 or 600hp is lying? There's lots of BS-ers for sure but that's quite the blanket statement, especially since it's wrong. 605 dynoed HP right here, 2500miles of street and hiway, plus .5 miles of track time :)

To the OP, I agree with others that you aren't going to be near 500Hp yet, with that being said I'd say it still wouldn't be wise to spray more then 100 if you want any sort of life out of your build. If you originally planned to spray, why not put the extra bux into forged parts?

So I understand that I won't be a 500 hp with that cam I have. So for now I will run what I have and spray it with 100-150hp shot.(which should put me around 500hp)
In the beginning this started out as a simple build that I wanted to spray a small hit on, but that was a mistake. So now I will just live with forged Pistons and a small hit.

The Goal
500hp street car (including nitrous)

if you want 500 hp, find yourself a happy dyno. lol

I think that's a good idea to start. You would certainly be upset if you sprayed a big shot and she came apart in the first few attempts. Nothing's a guarantee when it comes to putting a set of parts together. Maybe it's good for more, but error on the side of caution,,,,maybe try more when you are close to doing a rebuild.

The stock rods are the weak link IMO for a big shot, you can spray it with 100-150 no problem with a good safe tune up. I have ran 5 or 6 bottles through my 340, stock short block with forged replacement pistons. Its all in the tune up, making sure to pull enough timing.

So I understand that I won't be a 500 hp with that cam I have. So for now I will run what I have and spray it with 100-150hp shot.(which should put me around 500hp)
In the beginning this started out as a simple build that I wanted to spray a small hit on, but that was a mistake. So now I will just live with forged Pistons and a small hit.

The Goal
500hp street car (including nitrous)
Hope it all works out well for you, and good for you to ask. It'll be a hoot..... until the urge for more creeps in LOL It would be nice to hear how it works out.

I'll say this, trying to not get myself in trouble. My step dad has a Shelby GT with a Shelby supercharger added, some other goodies, it's easily making 500hp. After the supercharger was broke in early in the morn with no traffic he hit it for the first time. I honestly think that's the last time he ever put it to the floor, second gear at 35 MPH he swung across three lanes, good thing it was early in the morning or there would have been oncoming traffic in those other lanes. Point is, that is a car with a real 500HP and modern suspension, if the OP thinks he needs more than that in a 79 Aspen..........

Well there's always gives and takes. It seems your dead set on using nitrous and that's just fine. it sounds like you're making provisions as far as ring gaps and things like that. Sometimes I think about it too but when I factor in the expense of the set up and $$ to recharge the tank? It makes sense to me to spend the $$ on more top end like you got (aluminum heads) to get the extra 75-100hp. But I like I eluded to before, I sunk the bucks into the bottom end first so I can ad to the top as I want more. It's strictly my opinion that getting your 500hp from all motor will not only cost less over time (no reoccurring nitrous cost) it will last longer, be more dependable, and most importantly all 500 horses will be under your right foot all of the time every time !!

-
Back