can the ing switch do this

-

Snake

Mopar Nut
Reaction score
I installed a new ing switch in the 69 Dart and so far no problems,until today.Went to start firered right up,but no signal lights, dash lights,stereo,heater,temp gauge,fuel gauge,have brake lights thank God.Got home shut her down turned key to on position every thing works what gives me lost,so can that new switch do what just happened.

Could be the ignition switch. Could be the wire between from the switch to the fuse box.
The Ignition switch sends power to several fuses on a black wire.
Brake lights, dome lamp etc.. would work since they are hot at all times different wire.

Maybe. That does not explain "no dash lights" and no gauges. The gauges are fed off the ignition buss, so you'd think if it runs, the gauges would work

Sounds like multi--problems.

My Challenger does this on occasion. It is entirely the ignition switch. The switch in the Challenger is a little worn, so there's basically an "extra" position that turns off all of the accessories. Its been awhile so I don't remember all of the particulars of what works/doesn't, I do know that on mine all of the exterior lights work, but basically nothing in the cabin does. I made one trip to work sans gauges, radio, heater, wipers etc, which was a pain because I was fogging up. After that I figured out to just wiggle the key/ignition switch a bit, or shut it down and start it back up.

Maybe. That does not explain "no dash lights" and no gauges. The gauges are fed off the ignition buss, so you'd think if it runs, the gauges would work

Sounds like multi--problems.

Yeah but the blue and the black originate from the same contact/switch position. Often times "no dash lights" means no indicater lights without reference to illumination.
Does narrow the fault down to the switch for sure.

Maybe you have a bad ground. The one thing that puzzles me is that the dash light work off the head lights. When you turn the lights on the dash lights come on whether the ignition is on or not.

Check your connector from the IGN switch to the dash harness. The connectors can get corroded or loose, and it won't make contact on all the pins.

My dart was quitting while I was going down the road, and then it would immediately restart, and I found this when I looked deeper into it:

IMAG0001-1.jpg

Check your connector from the IGN switch to the dash harness. The connectors can get corroded or loose, and it won't make contact on all the pins.

My dart was quitting while I was going down the road, and then it would immediately restart, and I found this when I looked deeper into it:

Wont find that connector where the switch is in the dash.

I had the same problem and the switch was not going all the way back to run position after starting and no instruments would work until you moved the key al little counterclockwise and then everything would work. After using the new switch a while and manually turning it a little to the run position It started working better I did spray a little lube in the area.

Thanks for all the help guys,this switch has maybe 8 starts on it so far,I paid good money for new door locks,ing lock,and the housing were the lock goes in.Will check connections tonight.As for dash lights Imay of miss led ya some it was day light so they could of been working.:banghead:

-
Back