Can this be fixed at home?

-
That's some quality work right there y'all.

I'm sure that rear end stays in place with that contraption.

I just don't understand what's up with this seemingly increasing ability to NOT do your damn job and still have a job.
Some of the stuff I have seen shops get paid for would make me pick up a breaker bar and beat the crap out of the guy that did the work, and NEVER consider paying them for it.
More like sueing them for it.

And if the excuse is that they don't have specific experience with the type of job, then they shouldn't be taking the job.

For example;
The shop/tech that did this spring relocation for example, would have had to RUN when I went to pick up this car I guarantee it.
The cops would probably have to arrest me before that guy would be safe again.

Same with this supposed X pipe build that was also charged for.

I think you need to start a new thread. I don't know if I should laugh or cry after seeing those pictures. I wonder how many other examples of fine craftmanship such as those are out there.

Wait.......has that frame rail been cut in TWO? DAMMIT.

I bet they stood back and actually admired that damned X pipe. lol GAWD. All it takes is two 45* bends to make one. How stupid can you be?

wait.......has that frame rail been cut in two? Dammit.

I bet they stood back and actually admired that damned x pipe. Lol gawd. All it takes is two 45* bends to make one. How stupid can you be?

stop criticizing my fine engineering!!! Lol

Wait.......has that frame rail been cut in TWO? DAMMIT.

I bet they stood back and actually admired that damned X pipe. lol GAWD. All it takes is two 45* bends to make one. How stupid can you be?

From what I understood, the shop chopped out the opening and boxed it in to not raise the rear while being able to mount the springs where they are.
In any case, that new "hangar" bracket is a sad excuse for craftsmanship.
Not to mention a huge safety hazard.

Sorry if I hijacked, but it seemed like it was kinda on subject.

67Dart273 who pissed in your Wheaties. Sounds like you need to STOP going on his posts and that ends your problem. The guy needs direction not a tongue lashing.

If you say the yoke has moved forward toward front of car, something is horribly wrong and you can`t just tighten the nut.
Make the shop do it right or full refund and cover any damaged parts.
Maybe I can relax now that Murphys showed up at your house and finally left mine:D
The only way the pinion can move forward is that the big end bearing was never fully seated or race too, but a 1/2 friggen inch?
Good luck:happy1:

I can't see how the pinion itself has backed out of the FRONT of the gear carrier. The front side of the pinion rides on a tapered roller bearing that is in the back side of the carier; the pinion is trapped between the ring gear and this bearing. It suspect more likely that the front nut that holds the yoke on the pinion is loose and the opposite bearing on the front side of the carrier has loosened up and the pinion is now cocked a bit, and draggin/jamming up the ring gear and carrier.

I would grab the pinion/yoke by hand and gently try rotating it back and forth to see if you can get it to loosen bit and then see if you can straigthen it up by gently, gradualy tigthening the front nut while rocking the pinion back and forth to see if it will pull in the front bearing and strighten out the pinion shaft. That may free up the ring gear and carrier.

Unforturnately, if the pinion has cocked, it is hard to say what has jammed and cracked. But with the pinion partly dragging on the ring gear, then as you rotated the axle by hand the side gear, the sure-grip action 'gripped' on that side (the reason it got harder to turn) and the splines in the diff are now slightly misalgned and gripping the axle splines.

It might also help to just see if you can rotate the axle in the opposite direction. After that, try the slide hammer routine.

If you say the yoke has moved forward toward front of car, something is horribly wrong and you can`t just tighten the nut.
Make the shop do it right or full refund and cover any damaged parts.
Maybe I can relax now that Murphys showed up at your house and finally left mine:D
The only way the pinion can move forward is that the big end bearing was never fully seated or race too, but a 1/2 friggen inch?
Good luck:happy1:
Yeah..... the pinion 1/2" back to start would mean the pinion and ring would be impossible to mesh in the first place. or there was no race! Jesus....

I just don't understand what's up with this seemingly increasing ability to NOT do your damn job and still have a job.
Some of the stuff I have seen shops get paid for would make me pick up a breaker bar and beat the crap out of the guy that did the work, and NEVER consider paying them for it.
More like sueing them for it.

And if the excuse is that they don't have specific experience with the type of job, then they shouldn't be taking the job.

For example;
The shop/tech that did this spring relocation for example, would have had to RUN when I went to pick up this car I guarantee it.
The cops would probably have to arrest me before that guy would be safe again.

Same with this supposed X pipe build that was also charged for.
If your post did anything for me it was help me feel a whole hell of a lot better. That spring location was total ****! The x-pipe was total crap too. I could done one better with exhaust pieces from Autozone. I'm sorry man. Damn that is bad.

67Dart273 who pissed in your Wheaties. Sounds like you need to STOP going on his posts and that ends your problem. The guy needs direction not a tongue lashing.
Guess he's jealous because someone like me has a real '69 'Cuda???

If your post did anything for me it was help me feel a whole hell of a lot better. That spring location was total ****! The x-pipe was total crap too. I could done one better with exhaust pieces from Autozone. I'm sorry man. Damn that is bad.

I do ALL my own work, so none of that was my car thank god or I'd be in jail probably.
Those came from a collection of hack jobs I've seen posted here though, and it truly sucks.

voncramp,
my advice is remove the complete rear housing as it is. take it to the shop. make sure you are there when it is taken apart so you see first hand what is wrong. have them replace any damaged parts on their dime and reassemble the complete rear and you put it back in the cuda.

replacing a ring and pinion is not just a remove them and replace them deal. there are special things that have to be done and special measurements taking. so watch them very carefully to see how they go about doing it.

voncramp,
my advice is remove the complete rear housing as it is. take it to the shop. make sure you are there when it is taken apart so you see first hand what is wrong. have them replace any damaged parts on their dime and reassemble the complete rear and you put it back in the cuda.

replacing a ring and pinion is not just a remove them and replace them deal. there are special things that have to be done and special measurements taking. so watch them very carefully to see how they go about doing it.

Sorry Bob,, but I disagree with taking in the whole housing.. It's bad enuff he has to return the "pig', but spending 3 or 4 hours taking out the housing doesn't make sense. There's nothing there for them to do,, except clean out any debris,, and I'd rather do that personally in 1/2 hr,, than spend all those hours undoing/doing-up U-bolts, shocks, bleeding brake (where his next post will be "brakes spongee")..

And most shops won't let you on the floor for "insurance reasons" so you'd see nothing except what they want you to see..

jmo

hope it helps

^^^ Kinda depends on the shops.... most shops around here are pretty lax about that (Virginia mountains; people are pretty friendly and less 'formal' here), and I have a never been refused access with a polite request.

-
Back