Can you help ID my steering coupler?

-

standup303

Reaction score
Just got a 69 Dart I’m chasing down some sloppy steering and first item up is the steering coupler doesn’t have a roll pin in it. I looked up a few rebuild kits on Mancini but don’t look like they would fit. The coupler is different from the one on my 74 (pic with empty bay). Does anyone know a rebuild kit for this coupler?

IMG_3959.jpeg

IMG_3960.jpeg

IMG_3956.jpeg

Just looks like it is missing the seal at the top.

IIRC there is a different joint for ps vs manual. But I am not aware of any difference 67 to 76, the seal retainer was updated to a wire retainer vs the crimp on cap at some point.

Some good info
Steering coupler research help - FREE coupler clamp for info

Later style
Screenshot_20230510-220928.png

Last edited:
Th3re is a long and a short version of that joint and you seem to have one of each. As stated before you are missing the caaaaaaaap and gasket and it looks like the "shoes are sticking out the top. Maybe your 69 has a short joint and should have the long one??? Are the two cars both power steering cars?

Thanks for the info. I am not sure if the 69 was factory power or manual steering. What throws me for a loop is:

The top of the coupler does not have the tabs to install the grease plate like the 74 does.

The roll pin hole is at the top of the coupler vs the bottom and it also does not go all the way through.

the coupler in the top pic looks like the top
of it has been cut off

Get some additional photos.

Show the location where he role pin should be.

As for the set screw at the top PO added?

I saw a joint on a Chevy column that I thought was Chrysler. Maybe that is what is going on.

This is what it looked like . This one says jeep cj

Screenshot_20230511-074950.png

Chevy
Screenshot_20230511-075116.png

the coupler in the top pic looks like the top
of it has been cut off
Yup, looks that way to me too. Probably to get clearance around those headers. There should be a lower large roll pin to keep the coupler on the input shaft of the box. There's also 2 small upper pins to keep the coupler shoes from accidentally coming out. To add to your possible problems, check to see if the lower (inner) steering column shaft has broken plastic pins allowing that shaft to telescope into the upper (outer) shaft. The '67-up P/S coupler kit should work for you regardless of it's length. Header clearance is another issue.

-
Back