Can you run a long snout cam in a 91 318?

-

racerdude5

Reaction score
Can you replace the timing cover on a 318 so you can run a long snout camshaft that has the space for the fuel pump eccentric? Also, can you run flat tappets in a roller block that has the deep tappet bores?

Yes.

We built a 91 360 for my son's Valiant. We put the long snout cam in it and old style timing chain cover and fuel pump.

Beware of telling Hughes if you order from them. I ordered a cam with the snout, and they sent me the one with out the snout and the "adapter kit" for an extra $30 when I wanted the proper cam with the snout already on it, not a band-aid kit that is under engineered and is not very robust in my opinion. I had to make my own "improvements" to get it to work properly....

How convenient that the proper cam was not in stock, so they sent me the one without the nose for the same price and added the $30 adapter kit to pump up their sale....

Also, can you run flat tappets in a roller block that has the deep tappet bores?

No, I think that the oil holes for the lifter feed will be uncovered and create an oil pressure loss. If you want to run flat tappets, get a flat tappet block.

Why not run a nice hydraulic roller?

No, I think that the oil holes for the lifter feed will be uncovered and create an oil pressure loss. If you want to run flat tappets, get a flat tappet block.

Why not run a nice hydraulic roller?

Incorrect...............

I have two MP 360 factory short block...both are 91 blocks....the blocks have the threaded holes for the spider like a roller block should have....both cam from the factor with the MP 509 hydraulic cam...

One is currently in my 73 Duster with a Erson hydraulic cam...and Seal Power hydraulic lifters...oil pressure is a good 70 lbs

But what about in a factory production roller block? Can you run the flat tappets?

But what about in a factory production roller block? Can you run the flat tappets?

Yes..that is what I stated...I have two factory 91 360 blocks..both came from MP with hydraulic cams..and I pulled the MP 509 and put an Erson hydraulic cam in it...been in my Duster for 3 yrs now..

rollers in a flat tappet block will expose the oil band.

Incorrect...............

I have two MP 360 factory short block...both are 91 blocks....the blocks have the threaded holes for the spider like a roller block should have....both cam from the factor with the MP 509 hydraulic cam...

One is currently in my 73 Duster with a Erson hydraulic cam...and Seal Power hydraulic lifters...oil pressure is a good 70 lbs

Were your blocks originally roller cam/lifter engines or always flat tappet?

it is a 91 360 block....which are roller blocks....MP sold those years ago.....they were OEM blocks...sold as a short block by MP.....I have two of them...both came from MP with flat tappets in them...So I guess MP does not know they would expose the oil band...LOL

One is currently in my 73 Duster....been there for several years now....

I will post the Part numbers...later today....

the OP was about flat tappets in a roller block...not roller lifters in a flat tappet block...

Do you have any roller blocks??????

rollers in a flat tappet block will expose the oil band.

I know of several roller lifters on the market that have the body designed to work WITHOUT having to bush the lifter bores on an OE tappet block. I run a set of cranes that do NOT uncover the oil hole, and have had no issues whatsoever. They DO however require some block grinding depending on how bad your core shift is...I think there is another smaller company that makes drop in rollers now, that still don't require the lifter bore bushing, can't recall the name though.

not trying to hijack, just wanted to point out the option is out there.

I know of several roller lifters on the market that have the body designed to work WITHOUT having to bush the lifter bores on an OE tappet block. I run a set of cranes that do NOT uncover the oil hole, and have had no issues whatsoever. They DO however require some block grinding depending on how bad your core shift is...I think there is another smaller company that makes drop in rollers now, that still don't require the lifter bore bushing, can't recall the name though.

not trying to hijack, just wanted to point out the option is out there.

Very true......as you said I was trying to stay with the original question...

it is a 91 360 block....which are roller blocks....MP sold those years ago.....they were OEM blocks...sold as a short block by MP.....I have two of them...both came from MP with flat tappets in them...So I guess MP does not know they would expose the oil band...LOL

One is currently in my 73 Duster....been there for several years now....

I will post the Part numbers...later today....

the OP was about flat tappets in a roller block...not roller lifters in a flat tappet block...

Do you have any roller blocks??????

If they are MP blocks, then they may have been machined for the flat tappet cam for aftermarket crate engines instead of the production roller tappet cam. When you are in control of machining a stock virgin casting, you can make it into any version that you want...

I still stand by my original post that if you want to run a roller cam, get a block that came from the factory with a roller cam. If you want to run a flat tappet cam, then get a block that was made for that. Mixing and matching can cause problems if not done correctly...

I guess all those drop in roller lifters should not be sold because they expose the oil band.

OEM Roller block with flat tappets and reasonable lift work fine as AAR and others have mentioned. They are not machined any different.

A pictures worth 15000 post.......hydraulic 509 cam in MP 1991 roller short block

Attachments

• Picture 1008.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 136
-
Back