can't crank with key

-

res1vw21

It's only metal
Reaction score
Ok here is what I did- '71 swinger

I used the stock engine harness modified for a V8

When I have the '71 dash harness plugged in I can get the car to crank and run from the key, The problem is someone hacked the harness up and I am not comfortable using it.

I acquired a very nice clean dash harness from a '68 that when I put my multi meter too has a lot less resistance.

I traced all the wires on a wiring diagram and discovered that only a few were in different positions. I then spent the time changing the dash harness so that it would plug directly into the engine harness.

I also added a rally dash and changed to connector so it would plug into the rally dash, I made sure everything went to the right positions by wiring diagrams. I also bypassed the amp meter by soldering the two wires together and wrapping them in heat shrink tube. All wires I modified I did properly by soldering and heat shrinking and testing resistance.

So the lights work, radio works, heater works, brake light on dash for parking brake works, dash lights light up but no gauges work. The rally dash does not have the standared voltage limiter like the rest of the A bodies, but it has one built into the fuel gauge, I am planning on having Redfish recalibrate my gauges and add a solid state regulator.

I am currently not too concerned about the fact none of the gauges work, I am however concerned that I cannot get the car to crank with the key. I swapped the ing switch with a brand new one and had no effect.
Remember '68 dash with key in dash not column.

I can get the car to run with the key in on position if I jump the starter relay, it will also turn off with the key. Their is no neutral safety switch on the car, it has been grounded.

I checked the fuse-able link but it appears to be ok and obviously power is getting through because some things work. All other connections on the bulkhead are tight.

Anyone have any ideas?

Hi Ross,I had the same problem with my 66 Dart.It was in the bulkhead.I had read a link were they pulled the connectors out,drilled through(opening up for wire)and ran a positive wire through to the positive wire for ignition.It worked for me.My bulkhead was very corrosive in this area from PO cutting wires and jumping at the starter relay.Hope this helps?You could have other problems?Do you have power running with the key in run position?This solution runs direct power to your ign.

yep I have power with the key on.

hmm I think you are talking about the mad electric bypass.

I think I need to trace the wire that is the ing crank wire

This might sound too simple, but do you have the ground wire connected? When I first got my 66, the yellow and black wire was cut and and the previous owner rigged up a cheezy push button set up to start the car. I got the yellow and black wire hooked back up and it still would not start with the key. Then I looked at the wire diagram and noticed a ground wire. Hooked it up and started on the first crank. Now the car's in pieces!!=P~

am I the only one that has issues with using a harness that the ignition is on the dash, with a column mounted ignition switch?

it's got a dash mounted key, I swapped to an earlier column as well

I can plug the '71 dash harness into the engine harness and plug an ing switch in and it will work. The '68 dash harness has been converted to plug into the '71 engine harness

the 71 switch is wired through the column, how are you plugging a switch into it?

I'm looking a wiring diagrams, and cant visualize how you are doing this.

I have the '71 harness on the floor out of a dash assembly, I also have a '71 style ing switch out of a column that I plugged in to it.

nope, the only way I have been able to get it to crank so far is by jumping it. I tried cranking after jumping but it does nothing. the key however has to be in run in order for it to run.

"UUUUUNNNNGGGGHHHHHH, FRANKENCAR MAD, UUUUNNNNGGHHH!!!!!"

Did you ever figure it out?

I though that it was working before, what the hell did you do to this thing?:toothy10:

Do you have a handy dandy test light, how old is the neg cable? I agree with Valiant422 back trace the start wire and you should find the problem.

try grounding neutral safety wire to block. I think you have a bad start contact in your dash ignition switch

try grounding neutral safety wire to block. I think you have a bad start contact in your dash ignition switch

yea or even just in neutral try to start it. my 73 wouldn't start in P until i replaced the relay. until then i just started it in N

yep I already did that

I still need to trace the yellow crank wire, I just haven't had time to do it yet.

Check the red wire in plug under dash by steering column may be burnt off, my dart would not start with key last year , tried numorous things and it was that red wire from ignition switch.

-
Back