cant decide

-

moparmat2000

Reaction score
I got a 67 notchback coupe and i have 2 different colors im thinking of repainting it. The car is an empty shell, so it is a new canvas to paint so to speak. Its not a restoration, and fender tag is long gone so it really doesnt matter if its not restored to stock.

I am thinking of either the 1972 duster petty blue, or aircraft prop tip yellow orange, what most people refer to as safety caution yellow.

I like both colors equally. Should i just decide when its time to buy the paint at the paint store, and start spraying the jambs etc. then im locked into the color i chose. Prop tip orange looks a little like the 2009 mustang orange, with a little yellow mixed in.

Any thoughts.
Matt

If it's between those two, then either would be a toss up for me I guess.

Both colors make me queasy. People know it's a muscle car, no need to beat them over the head with it. IMHO. :burnout:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbEva_euZi4"]BLACK FLAG - Can't Decide - (1984, Bierkellar, Leeds, UK) - YouTube[/ame]

Both colors make me queasy. People know it's a muscle car, no need to beat them over the head with it. IMHO. :burnout:

Thing is the car isnt gonna b stock, or restored to stock for that matter. Going for the trans am race car look. Lowered wide 15" or16" black steelies, stock car lug nuts. Aluminum chin spoiler, prob an aluminum rear lip spoiler.

I have no reason to do a traditional restoration on this car. It was a bench seat, column shifted 3 speed slant sick car with 13" steelies and itty bitty manual drum brakes. All i kept was the body shell and the clutch/brake pedal setup. All the slant six crap went to the scrap recycler. Im going big bolt pattern V8, 4 speed, 8&3/4 rear for my setup. Full on hotchkis suspension setup. Gonna sheetmetal the dash where the gage setup sits, and drop in some vintage stewart warners. No heater, no A/C.

I even thought about leaving it in primer. With black steelies. Making it more of a road race type of car. Original paint on the car was medium blue poly metallic. Dont want to shoot metallics. Prefer to stick to a solid color. Easier for me to do in a garage setting.

If I had to choose out of the 2 colors, I would go with the yellow. Thats just my preference, never really liked petty blue. Don't get me wrong, it looks good, just MY preference. How about EE1? My 68 Dart is that color originally, and for some reason you don't see it often. Yours would look sweet EE1 with black steelies and hubcaps. You could also get a color close to yours, without metallic. I catch myself making mental notes of cars/years/color whenever I am walking through a parking lot.

Then again, grey primer, black steelies, and nice chrome always looks good in my book!

Restored or not, the color is still the color. If you like a color, go with it, no one else has to like it.

if I had to pick from those two colors and only those two colors ...I would go with the blue ....the yellow seems too flashy for that body style and era of car.

I have never been a huge blue fan myself but on that body style, I bet it would look adorable ....I bet it would look like a Dinaco Blue car which is such a good idea that I might do that on one of my cars.

no matter what you do it will be nice ..its a 67 cuda with an awesome personality......yes I believe all cars have personalities and no two are alike.

best wishes for a successful car no matter which color you go with

BTW: don't be too afraid of metallic ....if you do a metallic then I would advise going basecoat/ clearcoat. With base coat/ clearcoat the base coat goes on easy and it actually looks dry. with the nature of base coat ....errors are really easy to fix if any and only after your totally happy with it do you spray the clear coat.

I taught some at risk teens how to paint a car so we can put them to work in a body shop and the base coat was a piece of cake for them to pick up ...it was actually the clear coat that was really tricky to not get any runs ......single stage is like colored clear so either way you have to get the no runs things down.

the only downside with base coat/ clear coat is the added cost of the additional stage.

anyway good luck, look forward to seeing a painted cuda :D

if I had to pick from those two colors and only those two colors ...I would go with the blue ....the yellow seems too flashy for that body style and era of car.

I have never been a huge blue fan myself but on that body style, I bet it would look adorable ....I bet it would look like a Dinaco Blue car which is such a good idea that I might do that on one of my cars.

no matter what you do it will be nice ..its a 67 cuda with an awesome personality......yes I believe all cars have personalities and no two are alike.

best wishes for a successful car no matter which color you go with

BTW: don't be too afraid of metallic ....if you do a metallic then I would advise going basecoat/ clearcoat. With base coat/ clearcoat the base coat goes on easy and it actually looks dry. with the nature of base coat ....errors are really easy to fix if any and only after your totally happy with it do you spray the clear coat.

I taught some at risk teens how to paint a car so we can put them to work in a body shop and the base coat was a piece of cake for them to pick up ...it was actually the clear coat that was really tricky to not get any runs ......single stage is like colored clear so either way you have to get the no runs things down.

the only downside with base coat/ clear coat is the added cost of the additional stage.

anyway good luck, look forward to seeing a painted cuda :D

Yep, i used to work at a body shop years ago, did base/clear and single stage. Since i am doing this project in a garage and no access to a paint booth i need to be able to paint it a panel at a time to control the dust issues i may have. I did a single stage solid bright red on my brothers 68 SS/RS camaro years ago. I painted the car damn near one panel at a time. Bought 2 gallons of the red at the same time from my auto body supply house had to do a full color change on it, jambs and all. I always mixed the paint up well when i went to spray a panel. Everything matched perfectly when the car was done. With metallics even base/clear you have to spray it all at the same time otherwise you have some differences in the color shades. If you do a panel at a time with metallics you have to fade it into the adjacent panels so the color matches. Its harder to explain. But single stage solid color is gonna work better for me. I even sprayed the camaro roof and blended it to the tops of the rear quarters, then sprayed the rear quarters several days later. A month later 1800 grit sandpaper, and a buffing wheel with liquid ebony and all that overspray was gone and those areas were smooth and shiny. The key with doing it this way with single stage is that where you have to blend you feather the paint, dont run a hard edge tape line. Now if i had a paint booth that would be a different story. I may jamb it, and then run it in gray primer and leave it that way i got plans, dreams, and ideas i want it to have , if i can ever get to a financial point that i can actually do somethingif with the car. Otherwise it will sit and become a planter. If i cant finish it the way i think.it needs to be done,.i may put it up for sale. Time will tell.

Here's a yellow one I saved a photo of. It belongs to someone here I believe. The blue one belongs to Cudaspaz, a member here. It looks like it was done in photoshop. I saved them in different colors.
tmm

Attachments

• 000_0022.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 136
  • wheels31-3.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 126
Here's a yellow one I saved a photo of. It belongs to someone here I believe. The blue one belongs to Cudaspaz, a member here. It looks like it was done in photoshop. I saved them in different colors.
tmm

Yep, that yellow is really close to prop tip yellow. I really like it, prob better than the blue. Saved the pix on my android .

Thanks this helps a lot.
Matt

Cool tip,on the single stage,Mo2000. Had a pair of 67 notch Cudas,both yellow. First one,is a twin of the yellow one above. I personally,love this body style in yellow.

My opinion? I would go with the blue. I think it has a classier look than the yellow.....I think super bright colors look best on smaller cars, and start to look a bit odd the bigger the car gets. Although bright Mopar bright green always looks cool on a duster/demon or any car that came originally with it available.

I really like that "grabber blue" or whatever it's called, on the new mustang......if I'm allowed to say that. :D

I've gotta go with the yellow considering your TransAm race style build intentions. I believe it will look best with the black wheels you're thinking of using.

I think you should listen to your brain. Your inability to make a decision is your brain trying to tell you that both choices suck.

I think you should listen to your brain. Your inability to make a decision is your brain trying to tell you that both choices suck.

Yep....I don't like lighter blues. And yellow is very far down the list. When I was trying to figure out what color for the Dart my friend/body guy made it a bit easier for me. He did not want to paint the car a "new" color....as often times these tend to be passing fads which would probably result in me hating the color in a few years. I was going thru all the dealers in Spokane looking for a color. Found some really neat colors, but ended up going with b5.....Good Luck

LOL... yeah, I tried to say it way nicer, but this is spot on.

But hey, your car, you have to choose whatever makes YOU happy. So long as possibly selling it isn't in the near future, go with whatever. I wouldn't paint the car either one of those colors in a million years, but it's not my car, so it doesn't matter. Lots of people hate the colors my cars are or will be, but I like them (and they're the original colors) so, who cares.

-
Back