Can't find matching paint!

-

Mopar to ya

Reaction score
I want to match my existing paint, which is not factory, to paint a new hood with a hood scoop. How hard can it be? I used to sell PPG and went to a PPG dealer with a Prophet color match camera. Worked it up - no match at all. Couldn't believe it. Went to a Dupont paint supplier and used their color match camera and it came up with a match that was way too dark. I know the paint is not Sublime. It is lighter than that. Anyone have any ideas on where to go, what to try, or can look at my pic and tell me?

View attachment Dart 1 resized.jpg

View attachment New wheels.jpg

Try using a colour chart to find one that is close as possible then tint it to match.:burnout:
Here's a pic of a very low mile original paint car.The guy's bike fell over and hit the fender mid way above the stripe,i metal finished the dent and used a 80's Mercedes colour the metallic was bang on and the colour was close a little tinting and it was bang on so even old paint can be matched!!!!!!

Attachments

• IMG00099-20110610-1623 copy2.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 437
Get the paint chips out and start looking. That camera sometimes can be off, depending on battery. A good paint guy should be able to mix and match that color. How long ago was it painted?

Get the paint chips out and start looking. That camera sometimes can be off, depending on battery. A good paint guy should be able to mix and match that color. How long ago was it painted?

No idea. It was the previous owner. I am going to paint the whole car before too long but don't want some cheesy looking mis-matched paint in the mean time. Paint chips are horrible. It is so hard to tell. We did that as well today but you never quite know. I am going to try and get hold of the PO. I see his kids once in a while and they want me to sell him the car back. I told them it would cost a lot more at this point!

its curious yellow... one year only i think 70 or 71... 132068Dodge painted his dart that color

There ya go. Cool. Blend it into the tops of fenders to the edge and you are good to go. I think that color is bright. It really lights up your eyeballs in the sun doesn't it! Mike

There ya go. Cool. Blend it into the tops of fenders to the edge and you are good to go. I think that color really lights up your eyes in the sun doesn't it? Mike

does all kinds of weird things lol...

Didn't PPG change the paint code for Curious Yellow to some horrible off yellow state green machinery colour some years back. Seems I read here recently of someone getting them to reformulate the colour back to the original and giving said owner enough of the reformatted paint for a complete repaint when the paint they had sold him made his car that off yellow green instead of real Curious Yellow. Found just enough original paint somewhere on his car for a sample to get the colour right the second go round.

Didn't PPG change the paint code for Curious Yellow to some horrible off yellow state green machinery colour some years back. Seems I read here recently of someone getting them to reformulate the colour back to the original and giving said owner enough of the reformatted paint for a complete repaint when the paint they had sold him made his car that off yellow green instead of real Curious Yellow. Found just enough original paint somewhere on his car for a sample to get the colour right the second go round.

i dont know but if he still has trouble getting the correct code PM 1320 (Chris) and he can give you the code off the can...

i remember him saying it took some work to get it

I think that color is bright. It really lights up your eyeballs in the sun doesn't it! Mike

Cuda pictures taken at 7:30 in the evening.

P8110077.jpg

Curious.jpg

Makes Top Bananna look downright dim....

P8120103.jpg

I researched the paint code and got a 71 Plymouth Curious Yellow code Y3. PPG has a recipe in single stage enamel and also basecoat/clearcoat that I want to use. I had them mix me a spray bomb in enamel so I can spray something and make sure it matches. If it does, I'm buying a quart of basecoat, a quart of satin black and a ton of clear. You will never feel the stripes! Thanks for the help guys!

I researched the paint code and got a 71 Plymouth Curious Yellow code Y3. PPG has a recipe in single stage enamel and also basecoat/clearcoat that I want to use. I had them mix me a spray bomb in enamel so I can spray something and make sure it matches. If it does, I'm buying a quart of basecoat, a quart of satin black and a ton of clear. You will never feel the stripes! Thanks for the help guys!

get an extra qt of the color... it dosn't cover worth a crap lol... try to get a white base coat/sealer...

get an extra qt of the color... it dosn't cover worth a crap lol... try to get a white base coat/sealer...

I have never had an issue with PPG covering. I am not painting this one, though. A buddy of mine has a paint booth and will custom paint the stripes rather than use decals. I am not good enough to do that crap. He does real flame stuff, etc... and is very good. I was talked into the two wide stripes with a gap down the middle and a black scoop. It looks very sharp. It will look better than this, but you get the idea.

View attachment 73-74_Hood_Blackout.jpg

I have never had an issue with PPG covering. I am not painting this one, though. A buddy of mine has a paint booth and will custom paint the stripes rather than use decals. I am not good enough to do that crap. He does real flame stuff, etc... and is very good. I was talked into the two wide stripes with a gap down the middle and a black scoop. It looks very sharp. It will look better than this, but you get the idea.

View attachment 261034

ment it is a very see thru color... transparent... takes alot of coats to cover

****! It's not curious yellow. It is too yellow - not enough green. Now I guess I track down the PO and see if the dumb SOB knows where the paint came from.

****! It's not curious yellow. It is too yellow - not enough green. Now I guess I track down the PO and see if the dumb SOB knows where the paint came from.

If you do get the specifics on the paint I have a pretty decent collection of paint chip/code books. I might have the original formula if the paint is identified. I don't recall how new my books go because it has been a few years since I pulled them out. They do go back in to at least the 50's and I am thinking mid to later 70s.

Sorry, I should have chimed in earlier.

Find a refinish paint source that has a Minolta 2000 colorimeter. The 3 major paint manufacturers (PPG, Dupont, and BASF) all have them. If the refinish group doesn't have one ask if you can contact the OEM group.

I hope this helps.

sscuda
8)

Sorry, I should have chimed in earlier.

Find a refinish paint source that has a Minolta 2000 colorimeter. The 3 major paint manufacturers (PPG, Dupont, and BASF) all have them. If the refinish group doesn't have one ask if you can contact the OEM group.

I hope this helps.

sscuda
8)

Tried the PPG version at two different places and it comes up with nothing. Tried the Dupont version and it came up with a color that was a much darker green. What a PITA this is turning out to be! Maybe the hood is going to be satin black after all!

Tried the PPG version at two different places and it comes up with nothing. Tried the Dupont version and it came up with a color that was a much darker green. What a PITA this is turning out to be! Maybe the hood is going to be satin black after all!

Don't give up.

Did you ask the PPG refinish store if you could talk to an area refinish tech rep? The refinish rep could point you in the right direction or at least point to the closest OEM tech rep. The OEM rep would have access to a decent colorimeter. This is not that difficult. You may have to give them a sample of the color to take a reading on.

If PPG isn't willing to help you go to BASF, Dupont , and on down the line.

If this doesn't work PM me.

sscuda
8-)

-
Back