Can't find the right drill bit--please help

-

Georgesee

Reaction score
I changed out the T-handle on my emergency brake shaft on my 65 A100. The new plastic T-handle also uses a rolling pin, however, I have not had success drilling out the old rolling pin. I even tried to drill a new hole through the emergency shaft and nothing seems to phase the steel shaft. I have used cobalt drills, high-strength steel bits, and titanium coated bits and nothing. I dipped each bit in cutting oil and that did not help either. Any ideas on what drill bits to use that will cut through this steel shaft? If drilling won't work can anyone recommend a really strong glue or epoxy that will glue the new handle to the shaft? Thanks,any suggestions will be appreciated.

I'm not sure but may be you need to punch the roll pin out with a punch.

X2. You may have to remove the handle as an assembly, place a socket larger than the roll pin on one side, and drive the roll pin into the socket with a hammer and punch from the other side.

I tried punching the pin out but it will not budge and I didn't want to bang on the shaft too hard for fear of damaging it.

I thought of that and may just have to bite the bullet and disconnect the assembly where I can really bang down on the pin.

Did you remove the handle assembly from the car first before you attempted to drive the pin out?

Roll pins are spring steel so they are very hard (way up on the Rockwell scale) . Carbide would do it but it won't be easy ( interrupted cut). Good luck .

Ya... never had much luck drilling out roll pins. If you do drill it out, the hole will not be to original manufacture's specification when you have finished deleting the roll pin.

Even the little signal wand is as hard as drill rod in these old girls. Drilling anything will require carbide bit or annealing the steel first.

Take it out and hammer it out. Its an ebrake handle its not supppsed to come off easy. I just took one out 67 cuda. Took a bit

Thanks, guys for all the suggestions. I finally got the roll pin out after heating up the shaft and using some masonry drill bits. I had to go through 4 bits but along with the heat I was finally able to drill out approximately half then punch out the remaining roll pin. Can't believe how hard this was to drill. Again, thanks for all the ideas. I'm glad I can turn to this forum when I need help.

If you had a tool similar to a chain breaker.....

image_16332.jpg

-
Back